Hong-er, time for kayos!10

Sitting back, I listened to Hong-er tell my brother about Hua Cheng. including the rumors of how he came to be the most of a problem for heaven, as if I wouldn't love to cause them problems.

"How much do you know of Hua Cheng's past? or better yet, how did he become the ghost king?" I asked, and my brother looked to me for a split second before turning back to Hong-er with a curious look in his eyes.

"There are a few stories, but for starters, his name is unknown." brother was intrigued. this is going to vary well. "but there's no one to whom he's told his real name. He may have been a cripple when he was human, made fun of because of his different coloured eyes, or that he was born with only his left eye. The second story is that he was a young soldier who died and still harbours regrets. The third is that his love died before him and became a lovelorn ghost. But the last story is that he was in fact a former god who ascended long ago before choosing to return to earth as a ghost. One thing is certain: he was born near Mount Tonglu."

"Tonglu..." my brother silently echoed. He doesn't remember, but I do. These memories will never fade, nor will their scars.

"It seems to me like you have heard of it." Hong-er asked, and I gave him a gentle smile. while Xie Lian gave a soft laugh before saying it sounds familiar, he just can't place from where.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hong-er began flirting with his brother before, and after introductions, we continued through to the chestnut shrine. The sun set, and my brother split his bun with Hong-er. Their conversation seemed to fly by along with time.

We began to come closer and closer to our destination, only for the cart to begin to shake violently, causing Hong-er to fall backwards towards the back of the cart, where we could hop off. All while something held me by the waist, these hands felt familiar. but there was no one there behind me.

Looking back at his brother, he held on to Hong-er's hand, keeping him from falling off. Looking ahead past the hay pile, glowing orbs grew closer to us.

"It's a ghost festival!" I shouted, and thankfully none of the ghosts thought anything of my shout. "brother! We need the guard incantation!"

"Mm!" my brother hummed in response before lifting his arm up to the sky, using Ruye for the incantation before calling out. "Guard!"

Ruye flew through the air with silent swooshing, blowing as it circled the cart and us. hiding us behind a sort of barrier. The old man who owned the cart began to panic, the ghosts growing closer.

"Sir, you have to stay quiet." I tried to calm him, but it didn't exactly do much. "The ghosts won't notice us if they don't hear us."

"I can't; I'm so scared! I don't know what to do." He spoke with a shaking tone.

"Hold still, brother, assistance, please."

"right." Xie Lian said before tapping the man's pressure points using two fingers, rendering the man unconscious.