Nana's hugs

As we pulled into the drive way I felt a wave of nerves rush through me. I only hope that Brooks won't notice, I need to be strong for him. I can tell by the way he is gripping the steering wheel he is stressed.

I gazed up at the huge mansion in front of us that was over the top for no reason. Well damn my house must seem so small to him.

As we went further down the drive way there was expensive cars parked off to the side. Meaning there are more people here than we expected. I glanced over at him and he looked like he was ready to shit himself. I'm not going to lie I was about to too.

"Shit, this is going to be a long day." He said while parking the car. I need to cheer him up, as horrible the situation is I'm gonna try to make it fun.

"So if we are going to be stuck here why don't we make it fun. I bet you fifty that your mom will break before your sister." I challenged with a mischievous smile.

He snapped out of his trance, and smirked at me. He had a certain look in his eye, one that I knew all too well. Max and Asher maybe the idiots that play out all of the stupid pranks, and plans. But Brooks is the master mind that orchestrated them all.

"I don't know about that my sister has a newborn now so she never sleeps. She will break first for sure. I'll take you up on the bet." We shook hands and got out of the car together, as we went to the front door I felt Brooks hook arms with me.

We held our heads up and puffed out our chests. "Why thank you kind sir, such a general man." I said in a posh voice. We both laughed at my silliness.

Once we made it to the front door we both took a deep breath, and Brooks led us inside. We were welcomed to an extravagant gotta that seemed to  He guided us through the endless halls, he walked with confidence and knew exactly where he was going. I almost forgot that he lived here for the majority of his life.

We slowly made our way into the huge dining room which had a long beautifully carved vintage dining table. It was lined with expensive China which had been polished to perfection. Most of the chairs were taken by expansively dressed individuals, that look way to proper.

I could feel the tension and anxiety radiating off of Brooks, but his face remained blank of emotion, and he had a confident stance. The only give away way his tight grip on my arm, and the slight tremor of his fingers.

There was a gasp and all of the sudden everyone's heads turned toward the doorway next to me, and then their eyes traveled toward our pinned together figures. As every minute passed I felt Brooks' grip get tighter, but I didn't mind what ever got him through this.

"What are you doing here Brooks?"his mom voiced form behind us which caused him to whip around dragging me with him. Her face was red and I Could see the vein in her neck grow with every passing second. Her eyes traveled over his appearance and gave a look of annoyance when she saw me standing next to him.

But just like always she acted like her fake bitchy self, " oh and umm, and, what was your name again?...... oh right Franny. It's nice to see you again." She said in the most sarcastic and sickening sweet voice.

"Well mom we can't say the same. I actually find this quite torturous." Brooks retorted in a cold tone. She gasped at his comment and so did every other snooty and stuck up person here.

I struggled to hold back my laugh while watching her reaction, it was priceless. I snorted before I could stop me laugh and her head snapped to me and hatred crossed her eyes. I sobered up fast and held my head high whale straightening my back to match Brooks' posture. "We'll look here, we have a pig among our midst. She can't help but snort." She said with an evil smirk.

I rolled my eyes, " oh please go find something new I've heard it all before, and this is just sad that you feel like you need to argue with a seventeen year old. Grow up and get a life. M'kay" I said before I turned us both around to find Brooks' grandma.

"Where did that come from, I've never seen you speak with so much confidence at home, let alone to basically a stranger." He whispered into my ear as I let out a shaky breath to calm myself down.

"Like you should be talking Mr. torturous, where did that come from. I mean you got to warn me if you are gonna say something that funny here. All of these people look like it would kill them to laugh, or more like your mom would kill them." I said which caused us both to laugh as we made it closer to the cake table.

Once we made it toward the corner of the room I saw a little elderly woman with the most welcoming and warm smile ever. She beamed happiness and comfort. She was dressed in a nice cream dress and a pair oh short black heels paired with a set of pearls. She was looking beautiful as ever.

"Well if it isn't my favorite grandchild ready to save me from these incredibly boring people." She exclaimed while holding her arms out for a hug.

Brooks was instantly in her arms squeezing her in his arms not ready to let go. "I missed you nana, happy birthday!"

I love how Brooks could be a complete asshole most of the time but around his nana he will always act like a sweet little boy. It's so sweet how much he respects her, and the fact that he would do anything for her no matter the cost.

Once they pulled apart, Brooks put his hand toward me. "You remember Alex's little sister Franny, my friend." He said gesturing to me. It kind of annoyed me that I was always referred to as Alex's sister and never just as 'Franny', but I guess I can let it slide today.

"Well of course I do, how could I forget such a kind and beautiful girl." She said while she had her arms open to give me a hug.

It was all that I imagined, it was a perfect and comforting hug that only a grandma could give. It almost made you feel at home, a form of love that can't be replicated by anyone else. I feel like I really needed this, and I can't explain why, I've just been craving comfort.

When we pulled apart she gave me a warm smile which I returned. " happy birthday, you look beautiful in your dress." The complement only made her smile grow wider.

"How have you been sweetie it's been a while, also how is that handsome older brother of yours." She said while giving Brooks a smirk that confused me, but decided to ask him about later.

"I'm ok, and Alex is good, busy with work, but doing good." I explained, not really wanting to focus on the events of my past year. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small frown and sadness pass over his face when he looked at me. But I can't and won't let that be what ruined this day for him and his grandma.

"How about you guys catch up while I go freshen up, ok?" I offered a small smile and turned towards Brooks, "which way?" I asked.

Brooks looked at me concerned but pointed to the first door out in the hallway. But before I could even make it a few steps away I felt a hand grab my hand.
When I turned around Brooks was staring right back at me and I could see all of the questions swirling through his head.

"It's ok, I'm ok. You need to catch up with your grandma I'm just going to the bathroom." I said trying to eliminate his worries. He nodded in and apprehensive way that only made him seem more nervous.

"If I'm not back in thirty send a search party. Your mom probably killed me and shoved my body in the closet." I yelled over my shoulder.