Dinner conversations

"For fuck sake, damn it" I said as I was trying to a braid my hair. With it being tangled And my knuckles being sore and swollen, it wasn't easy. I sighed and decided I will just leaving it done.
"Knock, knock  is everything ok in here?" I looked back and saw Asher leaned against the door way. I smiled at him through the mirror, " no it's ok, I'm just trying to braid my hair but it's not seeming to go to plan.

He pushed off the door way and made his way towards me. "You know I'm quite versed in the art of hair braiding." I raised and eye brow. "Ok give it a shot" I said in a quizzical voice. He started to run his fingers through my hair and began the braid. Once he was done I handed him a hair tie and he tied it off and put it over my shoulder.
"This is really good who taught you?" I asked while looking at the braid in surprise.

He looked down with a shy smile, "Your brother did, he told me that it's important that we know how to do it. His reasoning was that if he was ever not here to do it for you than we need to." I felt tears prick in my eyes, I wiped them thinking that he is an asshole that doesn't deserve them.
"I'm glad you are here to do it." I said while staring at him through the mirror. "My pleasure" he said while kissing the top of my head. He hooked his arm in mine and walked down the hallway.

Once we reached the dining room he pulled out my chair for me. As I looked around I found the other three in the kitchen making food. They saw me and all said hi. I smiled and looked around for a little longer.

"I like the place.
I'm surprised it's so clean, but my guess that is Brooks doing." I said and they all let out a small laugh.
"It's not like Max has ever cleaned a day in his life" Brooks said in a playful tone. Then I felt arms wrap around me from behind me and I looked up to find Max. He handed me an ice pack, "how's the eye?" He said with a small smile.

"A little sore but I will be fine." I said while lightly gripping his arm that was wrapped around me. I then felt his chin on top of my head. I felt comfort with them, almost like I belong, but I know that is bound to go away sometime soon. It always does, I've always had the feeling I don't belong, not here or  with my family, and it's almost like I'm on a constant search for my true home.

"Here eat this we need you getting feeling better, and if you eat it all maybe we can watch a movie." Asher said in a nurturing voice that one would use with a child. He then placed a big bowl of tomato soup and grilled cheese in front of me.

"Thanks, but you do realize I am not a child, and I don't have a bed time?" I said to them. They all gave me a look of concern and I sighed. "There is no reason to walk on egg shells around me, I am fine, so please stop stressing" I said trying to ease their worry. But there was no use at least not when it came to these three. When they are determined there is no stopping them, weather it's a basket ball game or making sure that I'm happy and fell involved.

"We went trying to baby you, we are just trying to make up for what we caused. This was our fault if we didn't just see what was going on than..." he explained, but before he could finish I cut him off.

"Than nothing. There was nothing any of you could have done to change what happened.." I cleared my throat and paused for a moment.
"Or how Alex reacted. So stop stressing yourselves out I don't blame you" I stressed.

"There has to be some part of you that is mad or was mad at us, and don't just ignore it to make us feel better" Asher said while raising his eyebrows, which revealed his worry lines. I took a deep sigh, "fine, if you guys want to know, then yes I was mad. I was mad that ever since Ava and your guys' friends showed up, I was put on the back burner. I was mad that no one was talking to me, that I wasn't included in the fun." I exclaimed making all of the boys look at me in surprise.