Chapter 3: Diez Drake

<Drake's POV>

Drake never thought his life would turn out the way it did. Before his old man had been found guilty of stealing drugs from evidence and fired from the police force when he was 19; his life had been pretty good. He was a mid-tier match and he had even been matched with his girlfriend Hina. He was going to the police academy, he was going to be a cop, marry the love of his life, have babies, buy a house. Life was going good. Until it wasn't.

He hadn't been a minor so usually his father's choices shouldn't have effected him. But because of the influence his father had carried before his crimes were brought to light, it was a decision by the government to take away all the opportunities that would've been easy to achieve as a mid-tier, including, but not limited to negating his match with Hina. He was also kicked out of the Police Academy and his tuition for college went up as well.

It didn't matter that he hadn't spoken to his old man in years, it didn't matter that his shitty dad would beat him and there had been evidence of it. None of it mattered he was punished along with his father.

He remembered his dad taking out his anger and frustrations on him, the scar on his chin came from his dad using a carving knife when he got drunk the night before his sentencing. He had come to find Drake at his place he shared with Hina, his poor girlfriend had never met his dad. He remembered the way she looked at him. Like she shouldn't be his match. Like she couldn't handle the drama.

Hina was then matched with his best friend Smoker. He had been heart-broken that she hadn't chosen to become a low-tier with him, but she wasn't willing to give up her aspirations and dreams just to be with him. The government gave them three years to get married instead of 1.

When he was kicked out of the police academy he'd still been allowed to attend his university, he had been studying anatomy, archeology, and paleontology. All things he'd been interested in. He'd gotten his first job as a teacher at a middle school teaching anatomy, he'd done that lived in a studio apartment, struggled to live everyday but knew if he gave up he would really lose.

When he'd been invited to his first dig site in North Blue, he couldn't say yes fast enough. Partially because it was the same time that Hina and Smoker were planning to get married. And he couldn't handle seeing his ex-girlfriend marrying someone else.

Because of his various fields of study he discovered two new species of underwater dinosaurs, in one year. Wrote about his discoveries and the steps he took in finding them and wrote a book about it. And this was only 2 years after his whole world turned upside down.

After the book everything fell into place. He discovered that he really enjoyed teaching, traveling the world to give his expert opinion, and meeting new people. When he was 24 he got offered a teaching position at All Blue High School and tech school for kids who would have an associates degree once they graduated. He said yes since he wasn't going to be going to a dig site until the summer time.

He still remembered the first day he saw you. You were bright, optimistic, and incredibly beautiful. Your eyes especially drew most of the attention, your Heterochromia was one sapphire blue eye, and brown eye drew attention from all the males in your class. Even he had to catch himself from staring too much.

"L/N Y/N."

"Here!" He smiled at your enthusiasm. He was also grateful to learn your name.

"I take it you're looking forward to this class miss?"

"Are you kidding me?! You're Diez Drake the youngest paleontologists to ever discover two new species of dinosaurs, ones that could live in freezing cold temperatures no less, your a published novelist, you've been to several historical archeology sites and you have a degree in anatomy which is going to help me out!"