Chapter 11: Alone on the EVYS.

A few minutes after Claire and the others had left, I found myself tidying. Really. 

"Angeeeel!" Xavier called from where he was eating the avocado toast I'd made him.

"What?" I called back.

"I'm bored." 

"You are nineteen. You can amuse yourself." 

"I'm lonely..."

"Really?" I finished tidying below and came up to see he was sitting on the edge of the boat eating.

"Whoa!" he said covering his eyes. "Such beauty!"  

"Where?" I asked, looking around. Then I saw the sunset. It was amazing, there were oranges, reds, blues, dark purples and little pinpricks of stars beginning to appear. The actual sunset was a golden splash right in the middle of the horizon, the sun reaching out its many rays as though it didn't want to leave. There were small islands casting shadows around the tip of Merfolk Bay where merbabies were playing and splashing in an adorable way. Especially when Merfolk themselves were a vicious hunting breed.

"That is the most beautiful thing in the world." I whispered watching the merbabies.

"Sure it is." Xavier said, coming to stand next to me. "Sure it is."

A few more minutes of just watching passed before he said:

"What are we gonna do for two hours?" 

Oops, I hadn't thought of that. 

"Uh, we could play bored games. Or just talk or ignore each other?"

"Why would we ignore each other?" Xavier asked.

"Well you did when we were at home." I stated.

"I did? Oh. Sorry," he looked down at me, an odd expression on his face. 

"Why? I didn't mind. You were just Claire's weird brother." 

"Me? Weird? Ha! Not likely." 

"Xavier. You are quite easily the weirdest person I know." 

"Well who would wanna be normal, in fact, if anyone ever calls me normal, I shall take it as an insult." He looked back at the sunset. The poor sun was saying her last goodbyes before the two brother moons took her place. She kissed the top of the mounts and disappeared behind the sea.

"Wow." Xavier said. "I've never seen a sunset so pretty. I really should get out more." 

I spluttered. "You? Get out more? Ha! Not likely." I grinned, knowing exactly what I'd just done.

He slowly turned his head and looked down at me with a disappointed look on his face.

I burst out laughing.

"You are a twit," He said calmly.

We stood there for a few more minutes watching the last rays of sun disappeared. 

"Hey would ya look at that!" Xay said.

"What?" I asked, lookin around at him.

"I made you laugh!" He grinned. "I believe you once said I could never make you laugh."

"HA!" I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at me." I said, turing away and grinning.

"Oh, really?" He asked. 

"Yep. Really." 

After another few minutes I began to feel worried. "I think I made a rash decision allowing them to take Gale. What if he eats someone?"

"Well, you know its a good day when you have to worry about your children eating someone." Xavier smiled. "Don't worry, Gale and I have established some rule, number 1 being 'Do not eat hoo-mans." 

"Hoo-mans?" I asked skeptical. "You do know practically none of the Southies are 'hoo-mans' Right?" 

"Oh, yeah. He's gonna eat someone." Xavier sounded defeated.

As the dark descended I lit the candles and backlights.

"Only an hour left." Xavier commented as I tried to reach the toplight:

"You know you could help? I am short you know." 

"Oh, sure" He picked me up and moved me out of the way.

"Xavier!" I protested as he put me down and went up the ladder he had removed me from. I looked up at him. Whoa- Stop it.

"Hey, are you done?" I asked. 

"Yep." He came back down and almost stepped on me. "Why are you just standing there?" He asked, scrutinising me with an intense scrut.

"Uh, nothing." I felt myself blush. Really? What had I been looking at? This man before me was still Xavier Charles-l'bone, Claire's BROTHER

Sisters-before-misters. Always. 

I quickly looked over the edge of the boat, ignoring Xaviers childish imagens.

Anyway-

Suddenly a growl derailed my train of thought. And unfortunately there were no survivors.

"Xavier?" I called uncertainly. 

He was gone again.

"Yeah?" He appeared from down under. 

"Did you hear tha-" It came again.

"Uh, Yeah. What is it?" He came up the last couple of stairs and went towards the sounds.

"What is it?" I asked, slowly following him.

"Uh, I don't know... It looks kinda like a... Dragon?" 

"A- what?" I ran to the side and sure enough there was a baby dragon trying to get out of the water onto our boat. "Aww, so cute!" The baby sneezed and flew backwards back into the water. It growled again.

"Should we help it?" I asked Xavier. He nodded, so we set out the plank and went down to the waters edge. "Heya, I'm not gonna hurt you." I gently took one of the younglings forearms and pulled. "Oh, my Lydian, Xavier I'm gonna fall in" The baby was a lot heavier than I thought it would be.

Xavier grabbed me and held on, slowly pulling me and the youngling up and away from the water.

"Heya." I said to the baby, he had tucked his head into my arm, obviously tired. 

"What kind of dragon is he?" Xavier whispersred crouching down next to us.

"I think he is a seadragonus maximie..." i said slowly. "He shouldn't be near the lan yet, he's only what, eh, twelve-ish." I picked up one of his foreclaws and checked the tell-tale point on the inside of his claws. "Yup twelve-ish." 

"Wow. What are we gonna do with him?" 

"Well his Mama can't be that far away..." I slowly stood up, forcing the youngling to slip down onto the floor. He mewed in an adorable way, brushing up against my leg like a cat.

"Well we can't just leave him" Xavier bent down and held out a hand. "Can he talk yet?"

"No, the typical age for a dragon to learn other languages is 'bout fifty."

"YOU GOT A DRAGON?????"