Chapter 10: The journey to Merfolk Bay.

We were carrying on down the west coast of the Marylands, we'd passed the state of Bethiria and now we were alongside the state of Symia. Symia was more populated than Bethiria with tall houses of wood and round houses of dirt. Ok, so it may have been more populated but seriously, Southies were so old fashioned! I mean they'd only just gotten the hang of sailboats. I can't even Imagine them with airships!

Anyway.

Gale was more interesting than Symia anyway. He was tall, with dark brown and yellow-y fur, his eyes were a bright, dancing orange. Meaning he was normally wasn't awake at this time. 

We were trying to teach him to talk properly and it was proving more and more aggravating as, after Xavier had so kindly announced we were 'mates', Gale now called us Mum and Dad. 

Where he had heard those words before I had no idea. But I mean, it was kinda cute, and Xay loved looking after Gale so I guess we were kinda sorta maybe 'parents' to this usually feral creature...

"Are you sure this is the right way?" Claire asked as we passed mile after mile of Symian country-side.

"Yes, we are following Evys' last known course." I replied from where I was sitting by the rudder. Claire had been dying for another go at stearing so I was teaching her the fundamentals.

"I know! I know!" She sighed. "It's just Iroh is being ridiculously sick and Zay-vier is being a parent to that Yourentia you brought back"

"His name is Gale." I said quietly.

"What?" Claire looked up from the rope she had been tying up. "Whadidcha say?" 

"The Yourentian. His name is Gale." I said louder. I hated it when Claire got like this. She was basically bored out of her mind, and likely to do an Xavier. That is to say something dumb.

"Oh. Sorry." She got up. "Can I have a go yet?" She gestured to me. 

"Ok! Fine! But if we get wrecked on the Symian rocks, I'm blaming you." I got up and let her sit down. After showing her how to hold everything correctly and what to do if the sails gybed, I went down into the crew's old cabins. Where Xavier was teaching Gale to talk and act less scary. Too my surprise, Iroh was sitting there watching them.

"Feeling better?" I asked him as I lent on the door frame watching Gale and Xay play.

"A little bit. Whatever you put in last nights dinner did what it was supposed to." He grinned up at me. "Thanks Ange. 

"S'ok." I walked into the room, Gale sensing me, jumped up and yelled in his weirdly cute voice:

"MUUUUUUUUUM!" He ran at me and almost knocked me over, he started babbling in broken Marylandish and Yourentian speech.

"Gale! Gale! She can't breathe!" Xay quickly pulled Gale off of me. 

"Nice to see you too." I wheezed, grinning up at the both.

"So, whaddya think?" Xavier grinned. "He can talk in sentences now, look. Gale, what did we have for dinner last night?"

"We had fish and tay-toes and boc-ly and -" He paused. "Dad. What else did we have?"

"He seems to only pick up one syllable words." Xay grimaced, before roughling Gale's fur.

"Wow! Gale! I'm so proud! You've progressed so much!" I patted him on the arm.

Gale frowned, well as much as I could tell was a frown. "What a po-gress-d?"

"Uh its like going ahead, uh." I looked at Xavier for help.

"It like getting better at something."

"Oh." He began mumbling in Yourentian speech before saying "Po-gress-d"