Your Love For Others

We are called to love others. We are called to love people because God is love.

Matthew 22:39
ESV
39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbour as yourself.

But why though?

What does loving people do?

Here are some things that loving others leads us to do:

1) Lead you to forgive
When you love someone you'll be able to forgive them. Love doesn't hold grudges. When you truly love someone, you'll find that even the mistakes don't fully take out your care for them. You see their weakness and you desire the relationship to be restored. You can't hold someone in your heart by saying you love them but keep them imprisoned for what they did to you. Love teaches us to forgive. The process to forgive might not be easy but you'll eventually forgive.

2) Lead you not to judge

When you are led by love you won't be as judgemental. Love will help you see the humanity in others. You'll see the value of others. You'll see people for how God sees them. You won't just see a prostitute but you'll see a woman who is a lost soul. You won't look at that woman wrinkling your nose and turning away but you'll look at her with joy. When others see someone to despise you'll see a great woman of God that needs the love of Christ. You'll love her. The love of Christ helps us see the potential in the lost and the greatness in the cast down.

3) Lead you to seek the best for them

When you love others you'll want them to succeed. You want every human being to have food security, good companionship etc. Love makes you selfless. It helps you look beyond yourself and your problems to desire the benefit and well-being of others. You'll want others to be good, living right, and successful.  Love is against envy. You cannot love and envy at the same time. You'll be happy for them. You'll be happy for what God is doing in their  lives. When you're filled with love you won't be in competition and comparison but rather you'll be rejoicing for those you're close to and their sorrow can become yours. You'll be rooting for them.

4) You want them to accept Jesus

Love makes us look beyond this present time to eternity. When you're filled with love you'll desire people to know the Jesus you know. You'll want people to be saved. To know Christ. To feel His love. Love makes you desire to see people spend eternity in peace and with God. It will direct you to intercede to the lost, to preach the gospel, to invite others to church, and to use the gifts you have to show them that Christ is real.

5) Lead you to serve others
When you are filled with love you'll desire to serve others. You'll work towards their blessing and their benefits. You'll work to make sure that they are successful.

6) Love God even more

We are made in His image after all. His love changes you. When you love God you'll desire Him, serve Him, and honor Him. This kind of love grows the more you get to know God. It's a life-changing love that touches you from the inside out. People will start seeing the love of Christ in you as you now desire to see God's work be done.

Scripture References:

Matthew 7:1, Luke 6:36-42, 1 John 4:7-8

-etty