Chapter 13

At around 2:30AM, Hwa-Young heard yet another tonking sound.

*tonk tonk tonk tonk TONK*

With the last one, she physically jumped and rushed out of her bed. She had had enough.

"WHO'S THERE?!" she yelled as silent as a yell could be.

More.

*tonk tonk TONK TONK* but with this time, a little giggle.

Even though she was very scared, she grabbed a flashlight and quietly opened the door to her dorm. She tiptoed outside and pointed her flashlight very slightly to the left, then the right.

Nothing.

She looked in front of her, then behind her in her room.

Again, nothing.

Before she gave up, she wanted to have a second look. So, again, she looked left, then right.

And then, for one second, she saw a dark object dodging her flashlight.

At this, she was petrified. She couldn't yell here because she was in the hallway and would wake everyone up.

"What the-" she began to say until Woo-Jin came out of his room.

He looked around, then he spotted a petrified Hwa-Young holding a flashlight.

"Oh, haha. Uh, hi!" Hwa-Young whispered, audibly panicked.

"Hi, Hwa-Young! What are you doing with a flashlight in the hallway at this hour?!" he whispered back, visibly confused.

"I just heard some knocking sounds outside of my room. They've been recurring and I'm a bit worried..." she replied.

There was a short pause in the conversation as if Woo-Jin was thinking about what she had just said.

"Now that I think about it, I've been hearing them too. Did you see anything?" he said, slightly surprised that he wasn't the only one that heard them.

"I was checking with my flashlight and I think I saw something dodge the light but I'm not sure... Did you?" she responded.

"No, I don't think so." he said.

They chatted a bit more about the sounds that they had been hearing recently and then they headed back to their rooms to sleep.

"Goodnight!" Woo-Jin said.

"Goodnight!" Hwa-Young replied.

After they left each other, she tried to sleep but it was impossible. She made sure that all of the windows and doors were locked, just in case there was an intruder in the building.

She read her favourite magazine until she fell asleep a few hours later.