Secrets

I had just reached my parents bedroom and was about to knock when the door opened. There standing before me was my father. How did he get here so fast when he was just in the boat house with Jake. The image of my father leaping up to the third story in a blur of speed flitted through my mind. Of course, vampire strength and speed.

"Your mother is waiting for you." He said as I entered the room.

I walked over to the sitting area where my mother was reading a book and sat down beside her. She was reading Pride and Prejudice. Go figure.

She quickly marked her page and set the book down before giving her undivided attention to me.

"Is there something you'd like to talk to me about?" She asked, her eyes trained on mine as if they would tell her everything if she looked at the right angle.

I folded my hands nervously and stared at them as they twisted with one another. A nervous habit I inherited from my mother. "Actually yes." I looked up at her. "I was wondering, how do you know when you fall in love with someone?"

My mother shifted in her seat. Her slightly slouched posture was now perfectly straight. This was one of her nervous habits she gained since she had become a vampire.

"Love..." She chuckled nervously. "I guess it depends from person to person but you will know you love someone when it happens. There will be no confusion, only sense where there normally wouldn't be."

"But I've only ever loved Jacob as a friend. How do I make sense of that?"

My mother brought her arm around me and pulled me closer. I was now leaning into her chest as her fingers ran through my hair. "You don't make sense of it, it makes sense of you. I for one don't know how to give advice on love since I never really had that problem until I met your father. When I fell in love I fell hard and I knew. I just knew." She continued to stroke my hair. "Just give it time, like say, a year... or fifty."

We both broke into fits of laughter.

"Thanks mom." I smiled.

"Anytime, different subject." She teased. "So how was your time with your father?"

"It was the best!" I said excitedly as I moved to the edge of my seat. "He took me to an Orchestra and auntie Alice dressed me up in this really pretty dress and makeup. Dad didn't like it though because a lot of weirdo humans were staring at me."

My mother hissed.

"I saw Ethan and, oh my gosh guess what, Gracie and Seth."

"Oh really. What brings them to these parts?"

"Gracie goes to a Ballet school or something. But anyways her and Seth are together." I squealed.

"That's wonderful." My mom said in a happy voice. I knew she wasn't interested though.

My mind quickly did a U-turn back to the subject of Alice. "Mom, how did Alice get back so fast?"

My mother rose to her feet. "So are you hungry for dinner? What would you like, I can make your favorites. How about some animal blood." she said quickly as she left the room.

I stared in disbelief after her. That was weird behavior, especially for my mother. It was like she was hiding something. Better yet she didn't want me to know about something. Something that involved Alice and how she got back so quickly.

Of course if I really wanted to know all I would have to do is use my power to will the information from her. But then she would know I knew. If I found out the secret on my own she wouldn't know.