Chapter 12

"Droid maintenance," The woman said, letting you in. "It's all automated. No one ever comes in here."

         You froze in front of a droid, who looked down at you. You almost whipped out your lightsaber, before the woman said,

         "It's all right. He's on our side. Designation's NED-B."

         "This is L0-LA59," Leia said, standing beside you and holding up Lola.

         Lola beeped, and the droid leaned down.

         "He's just a loader," The woman said. "They don't allow them to communicate."

         "But what if he has something to say?" Leia asked.

         "Actions speak louder than words," You said.

         The droid opened a room, which everyone went into.

         "What is this place?" Obi-Wan asked.

         "We have safe houses like this throughout the galaxy," The woman said. "Trying to link the systems. Some call it the Path. You're not the first Jedi to come through here. It all leads to Jabiim, and from there, we give them new identities and get them out. There's a lot of good people risking their lives out there."

         "Are they all Jedi?" Leia asked, looking at you.

         "Not all," The woman said, chuckling.

         "These days, the Empire hunts anyone who's Force-sensitive," You said. "Even children."

         "What happens to them?" Leia asked.

         "They—"

         "We're not sure," The woman said, cutting you off. "But no one ever sees them again."

         "Quinlan was here," Obi-Wan said.

         "Yeah," The woman said. "He helps now and again. Smuggling younglings."

         "What does it say?" You asked.

         "'Only when the eyes are closed can you truly see,'" Obi-Wan read.

         "See what?" Leia asked.

         "The Way," Obi-Wan said.

         Rapid knocking on the door made you whip out your lightsaber, but not turn it on.

         Everyone scurried to the door, peeking out the small holes.

         "Open up!" A trooper yelled. The knocking continued.

         The droid opened the main door, and troopers marched into the room.

         "We need to search the premises," A trooper said.

         "A Jen'jidai was seen entering this camp," A trooper said. You winced. "You seen anyone?"

         The droid tilted its head.

         "Hey!" The trooper yelled. "I'm talking to you!"

         "It's just a loader," A trooper said. "It doesn't understand. Come on, let's try the next one."

         The troopers exited the building, and you let out a breath you realized you were holding.

         "We've been compromised," The woman said, into a speaking transmitter. "We're coming to you right now."

         "We're no ready. We need more—"   

         "I don't care," The woman snapped. "Get the ship ready, and hurry."