Chapter 1

The sun beat down on you, your cloak covering you not making it any better. You peered up at the sky, the sun high. Your shift was almost over.

         "Do not worry, little one," Your "uncle", Obi-Wan Kenobi said. "We will be gone soon."

         You nodded your head slightly, moving hair out of your face as you continued cutting meat next to your uncle.

         The whistle blew, indicating that work was over. Everyone gathered up into two lines, waiting for payment.

         "Their cutting our payment," You muttered.

         "The Emperor has not made it easy," Obi-Wan said, calmly. Obi-Wan cut up a few extra chunks of meat for dinner and for your ride home.

         He tucked it into his apron, and nodded his head as if to say, "Let's go."

         "It's only half," A worker said. He looked up at the owner of the business. "Please, I have a family."

         The owner punched him in the side, the worker siding over, grabbing his hip.

         "One more word, I take it all," The owner spat. "Keep moving!"

         You stared at the owner, anger in your eyes. He caught you staring.

         "Something you wanna say?" He asked you. Obi-Wan lightly grabbed your arm, handing you your coins. He pulled you away from him, and the owner scoffed. Something in you stirred. That made you mad.

         "Damn Vader," You thought. You blamed your old love to making you angry at small things. But again, you were trained like that. You were a Jen'jidai.

         You and Obi-Wan hopped onto the transfer back into town, Obi-Wan wrapping his arm around your shoulders. You scowled at the physical contact, but your uncle paid no attention. You found yourself leaning into his comfort, sighing.

         Once you both got to town, you guys walked to the small cave that had your Eopies. Obi-Wan unfolded some bits of meat, handing some to you. You fed it to your Eopie, and it leaned into your touch.

         You smiled at it weakly, patting its neck when it was scarfed down. You and Obi-Wan then led your Eopie's outside the town, and then hopped on, riding into the dessert. You guys lived in a rocky cave in the middle of the dessert. Hidden away from the social life. In case the Sith came looking for you.

         Once you were at the cave, you grabbed your satchel of supplies and dismounted your Eopie. You tied it up, then entered the small cave with Obi-Wan.

         The cave was small. It had some hooks, a small stove for cooking, mats for sleeping, and some lamps. There was a hole in the wall where you liked to sit and read, eat, or just stare out to the horizon.

         Obi-Wan started dinner, and you sat in the hole in the wall and read a book on poetry. There a tap on your back, and you jumped, scowling.

         "My apologies," Obi-Wan said. He held out a bowl of some sort of stew, which you accepted. Obi-Wan sat down next to you.

         "What are you reading?" Obi-Wan asked you.

         "Poetry," You replied, taking a bite of the stew. The meat was chewy, and juicy. But it was enough.

         "Where'd you get it?" Your uncle asked.

         "Found it in a trader's bag," You said. "Took it." Obi-Wan sighed, shaking his head.

         "We do not steal, young Y/n," Obi-Wan said. "That is not what we do here."

         You shrugged, taking another bite. Obi-Wan sighed again, leaving you both in silence.

         The sound of whirring and Jawaese made you jump, telling you the Jawas were here for trading.

         "Should have brought some soap," The Jawa said, in it's language. "I could smell you from Anchorhead."

         "You're late," Obi-Wan said, in English.

         "Do you have the credits, this time?" The Jawa asked.

         "Do you have it?" Obi-Wan asked. The Jawa rummaged around its cart, pulling out a bag of a toy ship.

         "A hundred," The Jawa said. "It's very rare. They don't make these anymore."

         "I'll give you..." Obi-Wan said, thinking. "I'll give you 50."

         "Seventy-five," The Jawa protested. "I've got a tribe to feed!"

         With the sound of clanking, you rolled your eyes. The vaporator failed, again.

         "Trouble with your vaporator?" The Jawa asked you, as you got up.

         "Yes," You said, in Jawaese. "We had some parts stolen. We need a new processor board."

         The Jawa made some excited noises, rummaging around in its cart again.

         "What did you say, young one?" Obi-Wan asked.

         "That we needed a new processor board," You said. Obi-Wan nodded at you.

         "You're in luck!" The Jawa said, pulling out a processor board.

         "Teeka," You scowled. "If you're gonna steal our parts and then sell them back to us, could you at least clean them first as a courtesy?" You snatched the board out of Teeka's hands, scowling.

         "Cleaning costs extra," Teeka said. You walked over to Obi-Wan, handing him the board. He accepted it, placing it down with the ship, and opening his small chest of coins.

         "Do you need anything else?" Teeka asked. "I have a whole new batch of salvage. Here, look!"

         Teeka held up a belt. A Jedi's lightsaber belt.

         "We stripped that Jedi's old ship," Teeka exclaimed. "Found it out in the wastes."

         You stepped next to Obi-Wan as he took the belt. You examined it carefully. It was rusty, and it smelled of sweat and dirt. You wrinkled your nose, the memories of hard training and war filling your head.

         "A Jedi?" You said.

         "One escaped across the Dune Sea," Teeka said. "Inquisitors and everything." Your head shot up at the words "Inquisitors." You knew what they meant. They were here for you. Obi-Wan looked at you, concern and worry in his eyes. He knew what that meant.

         "Hope we get more of them," Teeka continued. "Good for business." You scoffed.

         "Well, don't count on it," You muttered. "I've heard the Jedi are all but extinct." You lied. Obi-Wan rolled his eyes at you, handing the belt back to Teeka.

         "You know, you really do stink," Teeka said.

         "Well, thank you, Teeka," Obi-Wan said. "Goodbye." Obi-Wan handed the coins to Teeka, and the Jawa rolled its cart away, out of your cave.

         "Extinct?" Obi-Wan said, to you when Teeka was gone. You shrugged.

         "What else was I supposed to say?" You said. Obi-Wan sighed, a piece of his hair floating to the side of his face.

         "Be careful," Obi-Wan muttered, patting you on the shoulder. "Rest, young one. I have a feeling it'll be a long day tomorrow."