To the stars

I finally found him at the bow. Hey. " Shy, I knocked my eyes down. "Are you feeling better?" he asked. "Yes, thank you again, " I replied. Slowly he came towards me. A smile flew from my face and the butterflies in my stomach were beating purple trees. His hand grabbed mine and I returned the slight pressure. Our faces were just millimeters apart. "I've made that mistake before, so this time I ask first – May I kiss you?" he whispered to my ear. I nodded hesitantly. Very gently, he leaned further down towards me, and as his lips touched mine, I threatened to burst with happiness. Finally, he broke away from me again. "I love you and I should have told you this much sooner", I whispered happily.  We sat down on a bench and I looked up at the sky. The stars sparkled over us. The sea was crystal clear. No wave hit, no breeze moved. I leaned my head against his shoulder. It felt like I'd known him forever, yet I knew almost nothing about him. "What were you doing before the Titanic?" I looked at him from the side. His eyes had darkened. "This and that", he replied vaguely. "I've been away from home for 14 years and got a job as a coal boy and worked my way up to the rank of officer, and last year I got a job with the White Star Line. " I noticed that he did not like to talk about it, so I stopped asking.  Together we looked out into the night. The air got colder. Goose bumps formed on my arms and I began to shiver. "It's late. I'll walk you to your room. " Hand in hand we strolled across the deck. I ran extra slow to delay the moment. "Look at all the stars." I pointed up. "Can you see constellations?" I shook my head. "Look there", he pointed with his hand to a couple of stars standing in a kind of quadrilateral to each other. He followed the lines with his finger. "That's the big chariot and look there's an eagle. " Fascinated, I looked up and tried to imagine the pictures. I've never been much involved with anything like this. It was magical that stars could show objects. Harold seemed to notice my enthusiasm, for he smiled and drew me closer to him. I could hear his heart beating through the uniform jacket. So we stopped for quite a while. Finally, we detached from each other and went on to my apartment. As he said goodbye, he gave me a gentle kiss on the forehead. I looked him up. When I was in my apartment, I realized how tired I was. Exhausted, I let myself fall on the bed. I slipped into an airy nightgown and opened my hair. I could still comb her the next morning.