Chapter 8

The walk from the lake back home was a long one. We were all still soaking wet, when we got back to the apartment. It was in the evening when we stumbled up to the door. Ren and I went to dry off and change while Connor went straight for the bathroom saying that he needed to brush his teeth at least ten times to get the taste of fish out of his mouth. After a few moments I came out of my room, now dry. I padded into the living room and sat down next to Ren on the couch.

A few moments later Connor walked into the living room, sitting in a chair on the other side of the room near the couch. That was when we decided to discuss the day's events.

It was silent for a moment before Connor started us off, "So. What the hell was that?!"

Ren replied, "I think it was a dragon...did you hear the name it called Soji? Wise Dragon?"

I thought for a moment then said, "Yeah, that's how he addressed him. I-"

Connor cut me off, looking down at his hands as he spread them out, then brought them back in again with a dumbfounded look. "how does something that big get that small??"

Ren pulled out his book, "I don't know, let's see. I'm pretty sure there is magic involved though, I don't see how else it could be done." He closed his eyes for a moment and the pages of the book flashed a gold-white. Ren opened his eyes again and began to skim through the book. I got worried when I saw him wince in pain. After a moment he closed the book and said, "according to the book, there is little written history on dragons. From what I understand, there was magic involved."

I raised a brow, "they can make themselves go from something that big to being as small as Soji?"

Ren shrugged a shoulder, "Its magic, which doesn't really apply to our physical laws."

I gave a nod in agreement, "true. I wonder what happened to Atlantis.."

Connor spoke, once again stating the obvious, "well, its already sunk so it can't do that. Judging by the big hole in the roof, it flooded out."

Ren said, "that much is obvious." He then got that distant look on his face and he stood up, taking the keys for the truck, "I have to go think. I'll be back later tonight."

Once I heard the door shut and after a few moments I stood up, grabbing my coat. Connor looked up curiously, "Where are you going?"

I replied happily as I headed for the door, "out for a drink!"

Connor's brows shot up, "Since when do you drink?"

I called back over my shoulder, "Since dragons suddenly started to exist!" I closed the door behind me.

I was only three houses away from the apartment building, my hands in my pockets as I walked, when I heard the sound of footsteps pounding on the pavement behind me. Connor came up beside me, "I better come to make sure you don't get into trouble."

I laughed, "we both know that it will be me keeping you out of trouble!"

Connor laughed as well and we walked several blocks to the bar. Connor held the door open for me, letting me enter first then following close behind me. I noticed that he stood noticeably closer to me than he usually would have. The way he held himself was different to how he usually stood as well, I couldn't help but wonder why he was suddenly acting so strange.

I shrugged it off, Connor is strange no matter what, and I made my way to a seat at the bar. I took in my surroundings as I did so. The area was very dim and smelled strongly of alcohol. In the middle of the room was a small dance floor and music played over the speaker system. The building had obviously seen better years.