20

NIGHT QUICKLY CHANGED into morning and before I knew it, I was being awoken due to the sunlight seeping through my window and the sound of birds chirping

I smile when I inhale the lovely scent of bacon being cooked downstairs. I sit upright in my bed and stretch a bit before reaching over to my nightstand and grabbing my phone, my heart dropping when I see a text from Jack. It was a good morning text.

I hop out of my bed and rush downstairs and into the kitchen to show my mom the text I had received, stopping in my tracks when I see both of my mom's downstairs. Momma D and Momma C. They were both in the kitchen, laughing.

"Nini! There you are sweetie!" Momma D greets, walking over to me and kissing my forehead. The love I was receiving wasn't enough to get rid of the sheer confusion I was feeling.

"We're making bacon and french toast!" Momma C informs with a bright smile on her face. "Also, Jack's mom texted me this morning. She was wondering if you wanted to spend the night at their house tonight."

"Jack is dead.." I whisper, looking over at Momma D. "And you shouldn't be here. You're sick and dying with cancer."

Momma C laughs, "Sweetie, what kind of world are you living in?"

A loud noise from downstairs makes my eyes fly open. I furrow my eyebrows, feeling confused when I see that I was lying in my bed.

I look over at my window and see that it was cloudy outside. No sunlight seeping through my window, no smell of bacon coming from downstairs, and no birds chirping. Dead silence.

Reality sets in as I realize what I was just experiencing was a dream. A glimpse of the past, a glimpse of the life I'll never get back. The life I took for granted.

I choke back the tears I felt welling up my eyes, cuddling into my bed and clinging onto my blanket. God, I wish I could just go back in time. Jack is dead, he's never coming back. There's no saving my mom either. Her cancer is eating away at her.

I miss the joys of being a kid. That carefree feeling of having no stress and living the perfect life. Once I became a teenager, that's when my life got screwed over. 10-year-old Nini would be so disappointed if she saw me now.

A knock on my door causes me to roll over in my bed so I was facing my door. A moment later, my mom walks in. "Nini, honey?" She walks into my bedroom and opens my curtains, even though there was really no point since it was rainy today.

"Sorry for barging in." She apologizes, sitting on the edge of my bed. "I just wanted to come check in on you. It's almost noon."

"Oh.." I reply, sitting upright in my bed and bringing my knees to my chest. "Am I still not allowed to leave the house or did you change your mind overnight."

She laughs a bit and shakes her head, "You're not leaving this house. I know you think I'm being overprotective, but sweetie, being overprotective is what's going to keep you safe."