❥ 47| finally, love

"OUCH

"OUCH. ARE YOU TRYING to kill me?"

I quickly withdrew the knife that was an inch away from Zayaan's abdomen, turning back and shaking my head clear of all the distractions that held me hostage. Particularly, his confession from the day before yesterday.

I love you. Eshgham, I love you.

It reverberated in my head, in my heart, in my whole being repeatedly. It was so bad that I had to avoid him completely yesterday, not wanting the words to accidentally spill out of me in return. I was still so far in my head that I hadn't even noticed him come up behind me in the kitchen, where I was busy tearing up a pomegranate.

"What do you want?"

"You've been avoiding me," he phrased it more as a statement than a question.

"Why would I do that?"

"You tell me." Zayaan leaned beside the counter next to me and the whiff of his cologne momentarily distracted me again.

This man was dangerous to my heart and my fingers.

I placed the knife back on the board, opting to tear the fruit apart without the sharp injury-inflicting object.

"Do you remember when you cut up the pomegranate on our wedding night?" He unnecessarily went down memory lane. "It feels like a lifetime ago when we think back on it now."

"Yeah, and then you abandoned me the next morning and came back with a bruise on your face the next time we saw each other. It was a great time to spend as a newlywed couple. We didn't even have a honeymoon."

"Then let's go on one now."

"Excuse me?"

"It's only been four months since we married. We can go on a honeymoon now. Whenever, wherever."

"No, thanks." I waved it off but just the fact that he suggested it made my traitorous heart clench. "What marriage is there left to celebrate?"

"A lifetime of one," he retorted. "You still remember what I told you before you started to avoid me in the same house?"

I pulled two bowls out of the cupboard subconsciously and filled them both with half of the fruit. It was only after I took two spoons from the drawer that I realised what I'd done and I mentally cursed myself.

I could practically feel his smile from beside me.

"Here." I pushed it to him. "I don't want you to starve."

"Your grandparents have been very welcoming and warm. I'm nowhere near starving, but thank you." Zayaan followed me out to the front porch.

"Why exactly are you following me?"

"Why exactly were you avoiding me?"

I rolled my eyes and sat down on the step.

"How's Moon?" He asked gently and it suddenly gave me flashbacks to when we went to the pet shelter to adopt her. Ugh, stop it, brain.