❥ 38| to soar to the skies

I WAS BLESSED WITH the smell of petrichor the first thing in the morning

I WAS BLESSED WITH the smell of petrichor the first thing in the morning. The scent of the earth after rain. I smiled, breathing it in as I watched the dewdrops tease the autumn leaves, bathing them in a sheen coat yet threatening to separate from them.

It reminded me of my relationship with my parents in some ways. They were the dewdrops and I was the leaf, terrified that they would leave even when I knew that their protection and attention would quickly drift away, just like the embrace of dew. It was temporary just as it was beautiful.

But at least now, I had my husband. He was there to remind me that I wasn't alone. If I was a leaf, then he was the tree tethering me to him and keeping me safe. Keeping me alive and rooted. Despite the storm, despite the heavy wind, he not only protected me, but he protected everyone else who put their trust in him. He was our pillar of strength — my only pillar of strength at the moment — and I was so damn grateful to have him.

I was afraid, though. Last night was unexpected. It was sudden and as much I was glad that we finally put an end to the push and pull game between us, I was terrified that he might regret it or if it would damage the friendship we'd built over the past few months.

I shook my head, realising that I couldn't afford to think like that. I was terrified, scared that it would make him distant, but I assured myself that nothing bad would happen. It was a positive step in our relationship. It had to be.

When I heard a meow behind me, I pushed back against the window sill and turned to see grey eyes peering up at me intensely, almost in a way that yearned for attention. Everything in me softened as I crouched down next to my bed and looked into her eyes, the blue in one of her irises darker to seem more grey like the other, and my heart clenched when I saw the trust reflected in them.

I'd worn on Moon Haidar. She was no longer a pet, but a friend. She was family.

She purred when I picked her up in a bear cuddle and stroked her soft fur. She melted against my shoulder and I silently cheered to myself before scrawling back with no grace whatsoever and carrying her out of my bedroom.

I followed the strong waft of coffee and toast to the kitchen, my lips already stretching into a smile as I turned the corner. But it seemed I wasn't the only one looking for Zayaan's attention today because at the sight of him standing beside the window, the bundle of fur in my arms immediately started to fuss around.

I guess I was never going to be her favourite.

I let her down with a sigh, which made Zayaan turn around, not looking annoyed but not looking particularly happy either which wasn't the best sign. But he smiled as he picked her up and let her sit on the counter, placing a bowl of her food in front of her.

"Morning," I greeted tentatively, immediately feeling the stagnant butterflies take flight in my stomach when he looked at me with warmth in his eyes.

"Good morning. How are you feeling?"