❥ 25| mistakes

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE doing this

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE doing this."

My husband turned to me, eyes twinkling as we came to a stop at a red light. "Well, you better believe it then, since we have no other option."

"Yeah, because the only option was to hot-wire a random car and steal it. You do realise that's theft, right? It's illegal. And here I was thinking that you were the most moral human I'd ever encountered."

"We gotta do the things we gotta do, I'm afraid, my dear wife. Would you rather we have stayed in those abandoned streets, with no one to ask for any directions or help in a new country?"

My dear wife? I blinked at him in confusion, but he gestured his head slightly towards the backseats, and I winced in embarrassment. Of course, it was only for show, since his siblings were sitting at the back and we still needed to keep up appearances.

"Obviously not," I continued. "You're just ... you're just so you. I wouldn't have expected you to steal even those sweets that we can fill up ourselves in shops. And here you are stealing a whole-ass car. It's just very weird."

He rolled his eyes at my comment. "On the contrary to what you might believe, no human is perfect. Including myself, as much as I might like to be."

"Of course not," I said, but under my breath muttered, "You only berate me when I eavesdrop on people. Totally not perfect and completely moralistic."

I saw him smile from the corner of my eyes as we were off again when the lights turned green, but my attention was soon again diverted at Nezrin's commentary.

"You guys are seriously so adorable."

"Adorable?" My husband and I asked at the same time.

"Yep! Like, see, you even say the same things at the same time. And you think so highly of each other even though you've only been married around a month. It's so beautiful to witness."

I laughed awkwardly, nodding along, wondering how everyone turned into fools at the sight of our fake pretences.

Zayaan turned towards me, the same question glinting in his eyes, and I shrugged as if to say, maybe we're just that good of actors.

We silently drove for the next few minutes, and I glanced back at my husband every few minutes, taking in his stern expression. When I looked back at the motorway which we'd now entered, a sign caught my eye.

"Oh, we're in Sofia."

"Where?" Zak asked.

"Sofia. It's the capital of Bulgaria. It says it right there, look." I pointed at the overhead sign and heard Zak cleared his throat.

"I'll just pretend I knew where that was."

I turned to him in amusement. "It's a ten-hour drive to Ankara if that helps."