❥ 18| revelations

I MISS YOU

I MISS YOU.

Three words. He'd sent me a text with three words, and I had no idea how to interpret it. Was I supposed to respond? Or did I have to ignore it now that I was married to another man?

I didn't know — this was so difficult — and I just put my phone away with an aggravated exhale. I could deal with Logan later, and now, I just needed to get through the rest of the night without embarrassing myself or doing something foolish. We'd been at the ball that we'd been invited to for around three hours, and everyone I knew had just disappeared, leaving me all alone, feeling too pathetic for words.

With my unfinished Sprite in my hand, I moved towards Zayaan who was typing something on his phone at the other end of the room. He'd been busy all night, people coming up to him every second, and I'd gotten tired of all the introductions and so I wandered off to get something to drink. But now, I was bored and decided to go talk to my husband, seeing if that could entertain me in any way.

"Hello there."

Zayaan looked up but didn't move away from the bar-like place he was leaning against. He wasn't drinking anything and it just looked like he needed some space alone with his phone. "Hey."

"What are you doing?"

"Just something for our restaurant. A new invoice came in," he replied, returning his attention to his phone.

This was an opening, and I wasn't just going to allow it to slip through my fingers. "Do you just deal with all the money and invoices and stuff? Or do you do other things too?" I asked, curious about the background of Tales of Persia. How did everything work past the restaurant itself?

"I deal with all the money and the managing aspect of it and make sure we're delivering the utmost-quality food to our customers. If there's any problem at all, I'm the person for anyone to come to. I try to keep everything running smoothly."

"Are you sort of like the CEO then?"

He frowned. "We don't really like to give titles and labels in our family. We all just do our part. It's a family business, and we're all the CEO of it."

"Oh. Right, I'm sorry."

He smiled at me, shaking his head, showing that it was fine.

But as wholesome as it all was, he honestly did the most important part — managing an entire restaurant was no easy feat — and he'd be the only CEO in my eyes. What type of wife would I be if I didn't think my husband was the best and egg him on? It was only compared to his family, but it still counted and I had it set in my mind that Zayaan did most of all the hard work all on his own. Because he did.