❥ 34| love at first sight

IT WAS FUNNY HOW Zayaan and I had been married for over two months but the first place we'd ever dressed up to go together was his friend's wedding

IT WAS FUNNY HOW Zayaan and I had been married for over two months but the first place we'd ever dressed up to go together was his friend's wedding. It felt weirdly ironic that each time we got dressed up was only for a wedding — whether it be ours or somebody else's.

The October morning was strangely in good spirits; the sun was shining at full blast, the clouds weren't heavy and dark and there was something spring-like in the air. We were driving to the venue where his friend from university was getting married to the love of his life, as Zayaan had quoted.

"Is there anything else I should know before you introduce me to all your friends?"

"They're not all my friends," he corrected. "Barely any of them are. Even Adrian isn't a close friend — just an acquaintance who's trying to invite all the people his memory could possibly conjure up."

"So none of your friends will be there? So I don't need to worry about doing anything to embarrass you?" I was joking — mostly.

Zayaan rolled his eyes. "You need to have more faith in yourself. You're not going to do anything to embarrass me."

I hummed, amused that he was throwing my words back at me. 

"Most of them are just people I know from university. They're not all that close, except for a couple of them."

"What was your friend group like back then?" I asked, curious. "The only friend I know you have is Ehan — and he's your cousin."

He shrugged. "I wasn't all that popular. My friend group, as you put it, only consisted of Rafiq, Naira, me and two others."

Rafiq and Naira.

I nodded, pursing my lips.

"What? No more questions?"

I shook my head. "I ran out."

"It's okay, Faithe. Talking about them has gotten easier. Especially with you," he said. "You don't need to worry about hurting me or step on eggshells around me because you asked a question."

His reassurance helped, but talking about people who weren't alive anymore never got easier. I wasn't going to take the chance and make him relive his pain.

I changed the subject back to safer territory. "What will the groom think when he learns that you didn't invite him to your wedding?"

"We were trying to keep the ceremony as small as possible unlike him. He shouldn't be offended over that."

"So you're going to tell them I'm your wife?"

That made him turn to face me and shoot me a puzzled look. "Why would I not?"

I shrugged. "I just thought you'd say that I'm your date or something since they don't know you're married."