Chapter 5

A/n: for this chapter, when something is in italics it is NOT Y/n talking to someone telepathically

Y/n's POV:

I hum to the music playing on the radio as Klaus takes a sip of his drink and Five looks out the window. We have been on the road for about four hours now, and I have to say, this isn't so bad. We stopped for some brunch, got slushies, and Five and I even ended up taking a nap. I lay my head on Five's shoulder, and he smiles as he wraps his arm around me.

"This actually isn't so terrible," Five says.

"I agree," I say.

"See? Told you," Klaus tells us.

"Come to think of it, our whole life Y/n and I have been under the gun. Missions for dad, working for the Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. We were always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop," Five says.

"It's nice to just breath," I add.

"Good for you two. Retirement is suiting you guys," Klaus says.

I smile and Five nods his head. A couple of seconds later Five sits up and opens the glove compartment box. I lift my head off of his shoulder and watch as he pulls out a map and a red marker. He was working on this map in our hotel room before we left, he just wouldn't tell me what exactly he was doing.

"Oh! Uh...All right! So, I've circled all the roadside attractions along the way," Five says as he opens the map.

"Wow, you are really into this road trip."

"I'm not sure we're gonna have time-"

"We have the Brownsville Big Nickel," Five says.

"Oh, don't forget Ricky's Bakery has award-winning pies," I say.

"Ooo good one," Five says as he circles the location on the map.

"Well if you just let me explain-," Klaus begins to say, but Five cuts him off.

"Or there's this Cow Henge."

"We have to stop at that," I tell Klaus.

"Alright listen to me. Just shut up for two seconds, okay? Just two seconds? All right," Klaus asks. Five's smile slowly fades and I give Klaus a confused look.

"Okay, we're all ears," Five says with a sarcastic smile as he folds up the map.

"We... are going to Pennsylvania to find...my birth mother. Yay!"

Five and I both look at Klaus in shock. What did he just say?

"Excuse me?"

"What..."

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. I just needed somebody to come with me for emotional support!"

"Oh emotional support," I say with a scoff.

"Like a Schnauzer," Five asks in disbelief.

"Yeah and I knew you two wouldn't come if I told you, so what was I supposed to do?"

I scoff again and Five rolls his eyes.

"You're goddamn right, we wouldn't have come, Klaus," I say.

"You know why? Because we are supposed to be retired," Five says.

"I know!"

"This was supposed to be a carefree road trip," I tell Klaus.

"Well, it still can be, babe," he says.