Chapter 12

Previously on Borders...

He stayed that way for a moment, and turned to exit the room.

"Now what are you going to do?" She asked eagerly, ignoring her brother.

"Okay, apply the resin like this..." I said as I fixed the head on the body.

"Here you go! Done!" I said happily. "Now you have to wait for it to dry and it will be as good as new!" I said keeping the toy aside.

"Thank you so much!" She explained in extreme joy,HUGGING me.

"ILOVE you, didi!"

........

The sudden show of affection was overwhelming. Just a small gesture of help that I'd shown had gifted me showers of innocent love.

I closed my eyes, enjoying the embrace, and I felt that it was my sister Jasleen, hugging me. And that's when I comprehended that I was missing my family a lot.

I saw my family in the Maliks. I felt Waliyha and Safaa were just like my two adorable siblings. Moreover, Yaser and Aminah were just as loving as my parents.

"So are we friends now?" I asked her, looking deep in her eyes.

"Who said we weren't?" She said, and I smiled.

"Will you miss me when I'm gone?" My tone changed as I said those words, I got back the same feeling I had when I'd thought of leaving my family before marriage.

"I will.." Her voice dulled too.

"But you know what?, we should make these moments unforgettable, shouldn't we?" I asked, smiling so that I could cheer her up.

"Yes, indeed!" She replied enthusiastically.

"I have to go right now, your Mother might need some help in the kitchen, you see?" I said and she nodded understandingly.

......

"Could you please set the table, dear?" Aminah asked as she finished preparing the food, handing me the plates that were to be kept on the dining table.

"Yes," I accepted, walking up to the dining area, placing the plates.

Aminah too followed me, for she had to keep the food on the table.

"I'm really sorry that I couldn't help you earlier..." I apologized, as she kept the full utensil on the wooden table. She gave me a confused look.

"Help me for what, dear?" She asked with the perplexity apparent on her face.

"I had to pack earlier, and now I feel guilty that I hadn't helped you in the kitchen..." I said.

"Did Zain say something to you?"

I remained silent, because I couldn't lie to her and deny that her son hadn't talked to me about this. I looked at the tiled floor, unable to speak.

She raised my chin, and she looked at me, "Preet," She called me and I felt that it was my mother talking to me.

"..you should realize that my son is a bit short- tempered, if you give him the time to settle and understand the responsibilities of marriage, he will accept you... he is a very loving boy, he knows how important 'family' is, and soon, he will also understand your importance, and how precious you are to him..."

"I don't know, ammi,"

"Give him some time, Harpreet... he's still foolish..." She smiled, maintaining the tenderness in her voice. I nodded.