Hiking

When John got home, he opened the small bag and found the panda, he put it on his desk lamp grabbing the on and off switch on top, he took a photo and send it to Kate saying  "thanks Kate", he was so happy, he was already thinking where to go for her birthday it was the next month, he had such a good time that he thought, something out doors, hiking ...hiking is a great way to spend the day.

It was a great incentive, he was seeing where the best trails were if there were a stream, or a lake, he was all excited, he loved to plan things.

Father John asked her 2 weeks before her birthday when they were having coffee after work

-Kate, do you want to go hiking on your birthday?

Her face light up

-really? Oh, I haven't gone hiking in years I would love it !!, when?

-whenever you want

-how about Wednesday on your day off before my birthday?

-that would be perfect

-yay!!!

She was all excited, she smiled all through the evening.

Everything was prepared way in advanced, a week before, went to the mechanic to check that his car was in perfect condition to go on the road, a day before made sure the car had a full tank of gas, and left it all squeaky-clean inside and out.

Two days before he sent her a message

-on Wednesday can I pick you up at 6am? that way we'll spend the whole day and get back before dark.

-yes, I'll be ready at 6am, Thank you Johnny

-see you Wednesday at 6am Kate

Father John was in the kitchen the night before preparing lunch for hiking the next day, everything was ready to just grab it and pack it early the next morning, Father Dan came into the kitchen

-hey knight, whatcha doin?

said Father Dan with a new band aid on the back of his hand

-preparing and getting things together, I'm going hiking tomorrow

- oh yea, I remember you told us, gonna be hot tomorrow pack lots of water

-yes, been there before so planning to take the forest high trail there more trees so we can get some shade

-good thinking, have fun Knight

Father Dan grabbed a soda from the fridge and went to his room to watch tv

the next morning

Kate got up at 4:30 am to take a shower, she knew he was going to be picking her up at 6am sharp, so she had all her clothes picked up and backpack ready the night before.

She loved that he never honked the horn, he always got out of the car and rang the doorbell, she opened the door, he said hi to Caterina with a little touch on the nose and side, Kate got her backpack gave Caterina a little kiss and like always said, "hold the fort Caterina, hold the fort" before closing the door, he got Kate's stuff open the car door for her and put her stuff with his on the trunk.

She had on long sleeve shirt, jeans and hiking boots, also carried on her backpack a light jacket, shorts a pair of sneakers and a bathing suit she didn't know if they were going to a place that they could get into the water.

When they left, he said

-I already googled and talked to some people that like to hike, it seems that the best place is mount black bear, I've been there before, it's about an hour and 10 minutes.