Meeting John for coffee after Nicole's visit

They met at the coffeehouse like other times after work,

She was very happy when she when to meet John at the coffeehouse, he ordered for both, he was waiting for her to come in to enjoy their coffee.

-Hi Kate, how were the conferences?

-Hi John, they were great, you always get good tips, buy something that you don't know how you worked without it, and you catch up with friends you haven't seen in years, on these days of conferences an old friend from college came to visit she stayed at my place for a couple of days it was nice to see her again, she's a pediatrician.

Also, Robert an old boyfriend/fiancée called, we had dinner and a quick breakfast near the conferences, nothing special, nothing happened, we know the same people it's awkward if I say no.

(Father John was getting so mad, she didn't notice, she kept talking)

Nicole's visit was very nice sometimes we don't see each other for years and when we do, it seems like time hasn't passed and we are still in residency in the hospital or at school,

We almost talked all through the night, ... I did not mention you to her, I have never mention you to anyone.

Kate wasn't planning to tell him this, but she was so happy to see him, she's always happy when she sees John, even happier after having an uncomfortable dinner and breakfast with Bob.

-I want to tell you something, I'm always happy to see you John, I enjoy your company so much, even though we don't see each other that often, you're on my mind every day, your......

-Get married, you need to get married.

He didn't let her finish,

He said it sipping his coffee, using those words to shut her up, you can't even imagine how she felt, how deeply those words wounded her heart, not only his words, but she also never forgot his eyes, no emotion, the cold blank expression of his face, the tone of his voice so cold, mean even, she was so hurt, and for a second, she too wanted to hurt him

-I'm sorry, my mistake, I should've spoken what I was feeling to a priest.

That was the first time and only time they hurt each other.

She was so sad not being able to explain the love she felt for him, he was so angry and jealous of her past young life, of the men on the conference and especially Robert.

Two minutes past, nothing was said, not even looked at each other, she finished her coffee, stood up quietly and left.

He didn't move, he stayed looking straight ahead and steady drinking his coffee so angry and thinking... good, just leave, it's best.