Chapter One : Alone

______

It was only an hour later that the younger stirred in her sleep, slowly opening her eyes, still heavy with tiredness. She glanced around, noticing her older sister still sleeping soundly next to her, but she could not spot her mother. "Eomma?" she called out into the darkness, blinking rapidly in attempts to have her eyes adjust. She carefully got out from under the covers, peering over the edge of the bed to measure how far it was to the ground. The poor pup was barely two, intelligent for her age, but still a toddler, nonetheless. It was a long way down to the ground.

"Unnie?" she calls out for the older, in hopes she would help her down, but to no avail. Her sister was still fast asleep with no signs of waking up anytime soon.

The younger pouts, longing for her mother, conflicted with the obstacle in her way. The longing for her mother overpowered the fear of falling as the pup grabs a few pillows and tossing them onto the ground below her. Peering over the edge once again, the younger seemed content enough with the soft-landing pad she had created and slowly attempted to climb off the bed. Her little arms held onto the edge of the bed while her little legs dangled in the air. Without another thought, the pup let go, thankfully landing on the soft pillows rather than the cold, hardwood floor.

"Eomma..." the younger calls out once again, waddling over to the bedroom door. She peered up at the handle, reaching up and gripping onto the edge, pulling it down to open the door. Granted, she couldn't hold the handle down for long, but it was enough for the door to open a crack. The younger pup's little fingers gripped the edges of the door and slowly opened the bedroom door, leading to the living room. The pup waddled out, calling out for her mother. She started to panic, needing her mother.

Without a reply, the pup glanced over at the front door. The handle looked just like the one in the bedroom. She could reach it.

"Eomma..." the pup whines, waddling over towards the front door. Her little hands reached up to the handle and pulled it down, but the door didn't open, for the mother had locked the door before she had left, ensuring her pups' safety.

It made the younger pout at the failed attempt to open the door that she thought was the only other obstacle in the way of her seeing her mother. "Eomma..." her lips quivered as she was about to cry.

A soft click made the younger pup look up at towards the sound. It was coming from the door. Someone was unlocking the door.

"Eomma?" the pup called out, hoping her mother would come in and hug her.

The door swung open as a figure walked in, closing the door behind them. There was another click as the stranger locked the door.

The younger pup peered up towards the figure in the darkness. "Eomma?"

The figure froze at the voice, not expecting anyone to be home, nonetheless up and about.

The lights flickered on the living room, causing the younger to squint her eyes at the sudden brightness. "Eomma?" her voice was panicked now.

"Who are you little one?" the figure speaks, leaning down towards the younger pup who was rubbing her eyes in attempts to adjust them to the light. Eventually, she was able to look up towards the owner of the voice. "Appa?"

She squinted a bit more and realized that, though a male, the figure was surely not her father.

"Not appa..." the pup answers her own inquiry, getting frightened.

The male shakes his head. "No pup, not appa."

He extended his hand out towards the young pup. "What's your name pup?"