Prologue

to be destined

            to be fated

                        to be loved

______

"Where are we going eomma?" the smaller pup asks, embraced within her mother's arms.

The mother was too frantic to pay attention to her daughter's questions; one pup in her arms while the other held her hand, dragging herself along.

"Eomma, where's appa?" the older pup asks curiously, turning her neck to look back as if to look for her father.

"Hush baby, just try and keep up with eomma please." The mother hushes her child. "Appa will join us soon."

The older complies with her mother's request and follows the best she can as her little legs will carry her. The younger starts whining within her mother's arms. "Eomma..."

"Shh baby." The mother hushes. "We're almost there."

The three finally reach their destination, known only by the mother. A small, secluded cabin, hidden deep within the woods. It would take someone with a certain skillset to even get close to the area, let alone find the cabin.

Fumbling with her keys, the mother drops them onto the ground. The older reaches down and picks them up, handing them to her mother. "Here momma."

"Thanks baby." She takes the keys and unlocks the cabin.

It looked tidier, much tidier than it should've been if it were left alone. Of course, the pups wouldn't notice that. They were too young.

The mother enters the cabin, closing the door behind her. She heads over to the bedroom and sets her youngest pup on the bed before picking up her oldest pup and setting her on the bed as well. She kisses their foreheads, tucking them in under the warmth of the covers.

"I'm not tired eomma." The oldest whines.

"Not tired eomma." The youngest copies the older.

The mother smiles lovingly at her two pups, though her mind was clouded with thoughts; her heart frantic with worry for her mate.

"Get some sleep. When you wake up, appa will be here too."

"Really?" The older asks excitedly. "Okay. Let's sleep so appa can come faster."

The mother laughs at the logic but decided to go along with her. "Yes baby, the faster you fall asleep, the faster appa will be able to come join us."

"Okay!"

"Okay!" The younger squeals in agreement.

The two pups were tucked safely under the covers, closing their eyes, enclosed within the warmth of the covers. It wasn't long before they both fell asleep. The mother sat beside them both on the bed, moving strands of hair from her daughters' faces, admiring her two precious pups. She leaned over, kissing each of them on the forehead, whispering sweet nothings into their ears before carefully getting up.

Little did they know, they would not be able to feel the warmth of their mother for a long time.

She headed towards the bedroom door, turning around to glance at her two pups for what would be the last time. Tears escaped her eyes as they ran down her soft cheek. "I hope you'll understand one day, why it had to be this way. My babies, my loves. Always remember that eomma loves you. Appa loves you. We will always be with you. Our special ones."

With a final longing glance, she turns away, softly closing the door behind her. Taking a moment to compose herself before heading out of the cabin. She looked back once more before she ran back into the forest.