16

On a perfect spring day, March and Lawrence have planned an evening by the beautiful beach. Just this time a newer friend of Laurie's. Playing the host, he makes the introductions of the British family to the March women.

And he introduces Fred Vaughn, who, of course, will soon be known as Amy's potential husband. "This is Fred Vaughn, and his sister Kate," Laurie stood between the siblings as the adult went to set a picnic blanket in a shaded spot, "and of course, you know Mr Brooke - and this is Meg, Cathy, Amy, Beth and Jo."

Jo being her boyish self, tips her hat in taunting the clear difference between the family, in health and outfit styles. Cathy rolled her eyes even with that amusing smile, she nudges Jo to be on the best behavior to which the sister fakes an offended look.

Laurie without knowing had his eyes on Cathy who pulled Beth away after a formal kind hello to the guest, he watches as Cathy made Beth laugh as they both walk further from the group. His attention was brought back when Fred spoke up in a British accent. "So pleased to meet you," He bows in front of the undoubtedly flustered Amy that holds her giggle behind her hand as she spoke out, "Oh, how elegant."

Fred had taken her hand in his to place a sweet kiss causing Amy's giggle, "Remember the name 'Amy March,' I'm going to come to find you one day in London." Everyone had rolled their eyes at how obvious the two were flirting with each other, some leaving them behind like Mag and Mr. Brooke of course.

Soon everyone splits into groups for their activity to enjoy. A badminton game between Fred and Amy on one team and Jo and Laurie on the other while Beth cheers on both sides loudly and keeps scores. Being the referee also as she calls out at Jo's clear cheating method.

Amy would sometimes try to impress Kate seeing as one day she wanted to become someone similar to the girl, and Fred would openly flirt with the March girl much to his sister's displeasure. Amy too wasn't one to ignore if someone were to flirt with her, she was all on it.

Mags and Mr. Brooke can be seen casually flirting by the seaside as they walk close and shoulder to shoulder. The older man was a shuttering mess and clumsy at it, sometimes would stumble on the air itself, but Mags found him more adorable than anything.

Beth had once bet Fred to try flirt on Jo, of course, after talking it with Amy first. The two youngest March found that the situation would be funny as the clueless Fred did as told. As expected he got kicked on his shin which abrupt everyone into laughter, particularly Kate.

Everyone was enjoying their time even Marmee, Hannah along with Mr. Lawrence are seated on the blanket enjoying pastries and talking about their youth and how amusing it was to see their children burst their energy out on the beach.

Laurie scans his eyes around the beach, it all does seem joyful and exciting, like a family trip. Yet, someone was missing, it was Cathy. He soon spots her closer to the trees than the water with a paper in her hold, her head frowning as she mumbles something over and over again.

He hesitated for a moment but saw Jo practicing her badminton skills, Fred and Amy with a drawing drawn by the girl, Kate and Beth laughing something together, and Mags and Mr. Brooke throwing stones at the ocean. He felt safe to leave the host character as he runs up to the 3rd oldest March siblings.

Laurie was cautious with his steps, wanting to scare the younger girl. The closer he got, the become concerned for Cathy when he heard her memorizing a speech. It seems to be a formal speech for someone who would have to introduce themselves formally to their in-laws. "H-Hello, my name is Catherine March," Cathy had pulled up her dress slightly to bend her knee and bow to no one, "it's a pleasure to meet you and your so-"

"What are you doing?" Laurie's sudden voice from the back of her neck caused Cathy to let out a squeal as she rapidly turns around at the piece of paper hidden behind her back. Her face screamed in fear of being caught doing the worst.

"L-Laurie!" Cathy let out a breath to calm her beating heart. Laurie watched with a frown as the girl before her carefully fold the piece of paper hidden nicely in her dress pocket, "Why are you here? Aren't you going to enjoy the beautiful beach?"

The boy glanced at Cathy and then the beach, he rolled his eyes while shaking his head, "I should be asking you that. Anyway, why are you learning such a thing?" Cathy had a confused look but the way Laurie's eyes laid on her dress pocket where the paper was, it clicked.

She became nervous. This was something Aunt March had entrusted her to do, about meeting a potential husband soon. Aunt March has found the perfect one that she will soon meet. And it hasn't been found out yet by her sister or Marmee.

Plus, Laurie was the last person she wanted to know about her being soon engaged to another, with how her heart was still controlling the butterflies he would still give to her. "J-Just something I learnt at school."

"School?" Laurie thought about the excuse Cathy had given him, it didn't sound right in his heart but he never listens to it, expressly if it was about Cathy. It was just something about the girl before her that he still wasn't able to pinpoint. "I have never been to school. So I guess so?"

Cathy quickly nods her head, hurriedly looking around to get into another topic since knowing Laurie, the man was as curious as Jo which will cause him to question further. "Kite!" Cathy pointed out at the lonely kite beside the adult, "S-Shall we play kites?" Laurie tilted his head to the side, overlooking Cathy's shoulder to see what she was pointing to. "Sure, let's go." He reaches out his hand for her, to which Cathy glances at it with reluctance and a slight blush that she was able to settle down. "Come one."

He urges her to hold his open hand.

Taking a deep breath, Cathy connects their hands. Laurie even went as far as connecting their fingers before taking the lead to the kite. Unknown to him, this small action made her heart flutter as she bites her lips to contain her joy at the kinship. It was wrong since everyone knew, as clearly as daylight who Laurie was in love with.

And she... soon will be betrothed.