Chapter 23

I took two days to myself to think about what I wanted to do now, and even though Harry was still with me in the house, he really did give me the space I asked for.

He spent most of his time in his office, and I spent most of my time in the room I took up residency in now. We didn't eat together, and we didn't really speak apart from him asking if I wanted him to pick up anything special for dinner.

But finally, I had made the ultimate decision to take him up on his offer for the trip. I figured I owed it to him to let him explain on his terms, and I owed it to myself to get all the answers I deserved. Only then did I feel like I would be able to make a clear decision.

When I told him that last night, he was already making the arrangements for a private jet to take us first thing in the morning, so now we were on our way to LAX where we would fly out to his island, which was apparently called Nora. I didn't tell him I had never flown before, but I don't think I had to now that he's aware firsthand of how I grew up.

Zayn was the one who drove us onto the runway where the jet was waiting for us, but none of us said a word to each other except for Harry leaving him with the reminder that he's in charge while we're gone, and not to call him for any reason at all.

Like the gentleman I always believed Harry was, he took my suitcase and a duffle bag for me first, then came back for his own luggage while the flight attendants loaded them into the overhead compartments.

"You can sit wherever you'd like, Miss Carter," the blonde one said, gesturing to all of the cream-colored leather seats.

I dropped the Chanel bag Harry gave me onto one of them in the middle when I didn't want to be in the front, but I also didn't want to be in the back. Harry greeted both attendants casually, but didn't really return their smiles as he removed his jacket to sit across from me.

There was a small white table between us, where the blonde girl poured us two mugs of coffee and asked if we would like anything to eat before we took off. Harry asked for fruit and granola for me, knowing it was my favorite thing to eat for breakfast foods, but stuck with black coffee for himself.

"Don't be nervous," he said quietly. "Nothing to be scared of."

"Nine hours on a plane is a long time, Harry," I lifted the window pane to look out at the runway. "A lot of time to crash and go down into the ocean in a fiery wreck. And what are we even supposed to do for that long?"

He smirked a little. "I mean, I can think of a few things."

"No," I shook my head and crossed my arms. "I don't wanna do that."

"I know," he sighed, raking his fingers back through his hair. "There's, uh...there's a TV in the back with a bed, you can watch a movie and sleep."

"I don't think I'll be able to sleep," the words came out in a nervous mumble as the plane slowly started moving forward.

"That's why I brought this," he reached into his suit jacket and set a bottle of pills in a dark green bottle on the table between us.

"Drugs?" I deadpanned. "Really?"

Harry laughed. "They're not drugs. Well, I guess they technically are, but I got them from Whole Foods. It's called melatonin...you ever heard of it?"

It was a rhetorical question, because obviously yes I had heard of melatonin along with the entirety of the world. But I guess I did think it was sweet that he brought it when I knew there was no way it was for himself.

"Two will knock you out for a good night's sleep," he said.

The attendant brought me my yogurt, but I was a little too distracted with the plane taking off to start eating right away. Instead, I held onto the glass bowl and curiously looked out the window to see the ground getting smaller and smaller.