Chapter 4: The Pretty Blonde Boy with the Flower Crown (pt 3)

(3705 words)
________________________

Gradually as summer slowly ended, the leaves on the trees began to wither and fall, all while their second year of high school annoyingly entered the picture.

Yoongi was not impressed at all when his mother told him the night before school that she could no longer take him since her work schedule didn't allow her to, meaning he had to get to his new school on his own. It felt like his first big boy step to accepting he was growing up.

Truth was, he didn't know whether he was even ready to become an adult like his parents and most of his neighbors. The time to behave maturely and start thinking about what he wanted to do for the rest of his life had arrived so suddenly.

High school was the introduction to adulthood. Yoongi needed to prepare himself for keeping the fun to a minimum and try his best in making sure those grades are the best he can achieve; after all, those numbers on the paper are what is going to determine his future. Ever since he was young, he was taught that an educated man is a successful man. Before he knew it, he would be graduating and heading for college to work for the riches his parents want for him.

There was one thing he was afraid of, however: leaving Jimin.

He hoped Jimin had the same mindset to put school work before anything else. But Yoongi knew Jimin wasn't like that. On the other hand, Jimin was more the type of person who wanted to enjoy every part of the present, every part of life while he still had it. Sometimes, Yoongi wished he could be like him in the sense that Jimin put all his worries into the back of his mind to enjoy whatever life gave him. Yoongi wishes he wasn't such a coward.

On the first day of school, Jimin walked to Yoongi's house an hour before school started. His mother invited him inside and offered him breakfast as Yoongi was dressing up upstairs. Jimin politely accepted the invitation with a smile, knowing he didn't have to feel bad about eating here since he was close enough to the Mins to not feel like a burden. To Jimin, Yoongi's family was the kind of family he wanted: caring and loving.

He pulled up a chair and waited, watching Yoongi's mother pour cold milk into two bowls of Apple Jacks cereal. His mind began to wander as he watched her prepare breakfast for her son.

Yoongi was so lucky and he probably didn't know it.

Maybe in another universe... he had Yoongi's family.

Jimin knew thinking like this was stupid but he couldn't help it.

He wanted an attentive family. He wanted a mother who smiled at the thought of her son. He wanted a father who comforted him when he cried instead of criticizing him.

All he wanted was a family that supported him for who he was and accepted him.

Was it too much to ask for?

A sleepy Yoongi froze at the sight of Jimin, the signature flower crown absent, at his kitchen table when he walked down the stairs, searching for his mother to help him with the necktie that was currently wrapped around his hand loosely. By Yoongi's calling to the lady in the kitchen, Jimin craned his head, a smile subconsciously forming at the sight of his friend. They greeted each other with a hand wave and a shy grin. Suddenly, Yoongi had forgotten about his necktie situation and walked to the blonde instead, asking why he was at his house so early. Jimin scooted his chair a slight bit so Yoongi could sit beside him, where the other bowl of soaking cereal waited to be consumed.

Jimin explained he wanted to walk to school with him and check whether they had any classes together. Now aware Jimin was attending the same school, the other boy wasn't so miserable because at least he'd have his best friend on his side. If it meant they could see each other as often as they did during the summer, then it was worth it.