Chapter 7 - Falling for the Enemy.

"I would love to dance." I smiled as I looked up at him. Melvin looked around and seen others slow dancing, then looked back at me.

"Are you sure you want to dance in front of people....being that i'm black and you're-"

"I don't care what they think." I cheered. "I can dance with whoever I want to dance with."

"Okay then." Melvin smiled.

I took Melvin's hand and slowly stood up as we walked where everyone else were at, and started dancing. He placed his hand around my back, and softly gripped onto it. I placed my right arm around his shoulders while we held hands with our opposite arm. Ironically, "I fall in love to easily" by Frank Sinatra was playing in the background. My cheeks brushed up against his over and over while I looked over his shoulder. To be honest, I was a nervous wreck. I wasn't sure if he liked dancing with me or not and I also wasn't sure if he wanted to dance as much as I did.

But Melvin wasn't nervous at all. He was holding my hand in a calm way, and he was dancing at a steady pace. Even though a few people were staring at us, he didn't care. He continued to dance as if nobody was there. I moved my head back a little and looked at Melvin, and Melvin looked back at me after seeing me look at him. He put on a small faded smile as I started cheesing and blushing.

"What?" Melvin chuckled as he looked down at me.

"Nothing. Just lookin'." I laughed as he laughed behind me.

"You're such a weirdo." Melvin smiled as he looked down at me.

I continued to stare at his features, and I couldn't help myself. I was "turned on" as they would call it in todays age. I was looking at his facial features and they were so manly. His jawline was amazing, his lips were the perfect size, and his grip was amazing. In 9th grade, i'd attended prom for Tom each year. When we would slow dance, he had no type of clue was a grip was. He held my back, but it felt rushed. He held my hand, but he wasn't holding my hand because he liked me. He held it because he knew that it was the "gentlemen" like thing to do. But Melvin, I could tell that he was dancing with me because he liked me. I also knew that Melvin wanted to tell me a lot of ways on how he felt about me, but he probably had the feeling that I would shut him down. But before I could tell him myself, he spit it out.

"Norma.." Melvin said in a soft tone.

"Yeah?"

"You look like a beautiful woman." Melvin smiled as he looked at me. "Like, you don't look like a teenager. You look like a very gorgeous woman."

"Thank you so much." I said in a silent tone as I looked up at him. "You're not a nigger, by the way. You are an african american man."

"Thank you." Melvin cheered in a silent tone.

"A beautiful african american man."

Melvin thanked me once more, and we continued to dance. But after that small talk, we couldn't take our eyes off of each other. In this day and age, this would be considered a "corny" movie like scene. But in the late 40's, this was a sign of a close connection. I looked at his lips and he looked at mine, then he finally spit out another thing that I was thinking.

"Norma.." Melvin said, once again.

"Yes?" I said, keeping my eyes on him.

"Do you want to kiss?" He whispered as my heart sped up. This would be my first time kissing an african american man.

"We can.." I nodded. Then Melvin stood all the way up, let go of my waist, and kept his grip on my hand.

"Not here. Let's do it somewhere else." Melvin nodded as he looked around the school. "I don't want to cause any commotion."