18

{5 Years Later}

"You don't want to eat your cupcakes? They're your favorite.."

I sighed and looked at the red velvet cupcakes sitting in front of me. They did look good, but I wasn't in the mood to eat.

"I'll eat some later. I just want to lay down."

Walking up to my room, I held back the tears that dared to fall. Its been 5 years since the incident happened, and everyday, I get flashbacks of what happened. Today was my 18th birthday. I should be happy about it, but its hard knowing that those you cared about the most aren't with you to celebrate it.

I let out a loud groan and fell onto my bed, landing facedown in the pillows. Laying like this for a few minutes, the feeling of sleep overwhelmed me. I gave in to the feeling, and fell into a deep sleep.
*

*

*

*

*

"Monroe!"

"Monroe!"

"Wake up! It's time for your birthday cookout!"

I groaned at lifted my face up from the pillows. Looking down, I noticed that there were black smudges on the pillow. I must've cried myself to sleep without realizing it. I turned my head and looked towards the person who woke me up from my well needed rest.

"Toya. I told you already. I don't want to celebrate my birthday!"

Toya and I met during the... incident... five years ago. She saw me struggling and took me under her wing. Of course, I repay her by helping her pay the bills in the apartment we share.

"Moe. Everybody's been planning this for you for months now. We already have everything ready! You're going to this cookout!"

I sighed, "Fine. What time are we leaving?"

"3:30. Now go get ready." she said while walking out the door. I rolled out of bed and walked into my bathroom. Looking at myself in the mirror, I can say that I looked a hot mess. My hair was everywhere, my eyes were red and had bags under them, and I looked paler than I normally did.

Turning on the shower, I hummed Apparently by JCole. Stepping in, I grabbed my mango scented body wash, and started scrubbing my body.
*

*

*

*

*

"Girl you smell like mangoes." Toya said as we were walking into the backyard of our other friend Shayla's house for the cookout.

"Well, I did take a shower with my mango scented body wash."

"I hate mangoes."

"Why?"

"Well, you remember when I told you about that guy I dated that one time?"

"Mr. Hot and Spunky?"

"No, Mr. No-Good."

"Ohhhh. Yeah."

"Well, when we broke up, he let the trick he cheated on me with eat up all the mangoes I had in the kitchen. Now every time I look at a mango, I think of a hoe that looks like she was dragged through the struggle with her crusty tracks."

I laughed. Toya was hilarious when she wasn't yelling at me. We walked through the open gate that led to Shayla's backyard, and cheers errupted from the guests that were already there.

"Ayeee it's the birthday girl!"

"Look at Monroe all grown up!"

"Now the party can officially start!"

The DJ that they hired started playing music, and we started dancing.

Throughout the party, I saw several friends that I made when I returned to Los Angeles after Lamont and Josh were thrown into jail. I even danced with this really cute guy, I think he said his name was Ramiro.

When it was time to cut the cake, Shayla and Toya grabbed a microphone from the DJ and started talking.

"Alright, alright, alright. Y'all having a good time??" Toya said.

"YEAH!" The crowd answered.

"As you all know, we're here to celebrate the lovely Monroe's 18th birthday, y'all give her a hand!" Shayla said.

Everybody started clapping and cheering for me.

"Before we cut the cake," Shayla continued, "would anyone like to say a few words to the birthday girl?"

A voice from the very back of the crowd was heard, "I would."

People stepped out of the way to create a path for the person who spoke. When they made it to the front of the crowd, tears formed in my eyes. I couldn't believe who was standing right in front of me.

//Its Been Almost 2 Months Since I Last Updated, And Who Knows When I'll Update Again.

I Really Dont Like The Thought Of Continuing This Story Anymore. I May Just Write Up A Summary Of What Was Supposed To Happen In The Other Chapters.

On The Brightside, Im Done w/ Exams😌💯 Pretty Sure I Did Terrible On Two Of 'Em, But Its Okay.

Other Updates About Me? (I Felt Cocky Saying That)

1.) Um... Ive Been Good. Scratch That. Ive Been Having Mixed Feels For The Past Two Weeks And These Dreams Arent Helping At All.

2.) My Friends May Have To Hold Me Back From Beating The Living Daylights Out Of Somebody Tomorrow.

3.) We're Having A Squad Day At The Movies On Saturday And Im Really Excited 'Cause We Havent Been Out In Forever. (Gonna See Insidious Chapter 3)

4.) Im Done w/ These Announcements.

Um, But Yeah. Ion Think Im Gonna Continue This Book. But If A Miracle Comes And I Change My Mind, I'll Put An Authors Announcemet Out About It For You Guys.

Kay Bai. ✌🏽️

🌴мιcĸey🌴\\