INTERMISSION; AS IT WAS

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
INTERMISSION
( AS IT WAS )

Nothin' to sayWhen everything gets in the waySeems you cannot be replacedAnd I'm the one who will stay, ohIn this world, it's just usYou know it's not the same as it was

Nothin' to say
When everything gets in the way
Seems you cannot be replaced
And I'm the one who will stay, oh
In this world, it's just us
You know it's not the same as it was

Or, alternatively, in which—

DING-DING-DING!

Peter entered the quaint donut shop, his coat lined with snow. He fidgeted restlessly with a piece of paper between his fingers. The door closed behind him, sealing the warm air inside again, and he stopped in his tracks as he spotted Valor chatting up the uniformed worker, MJ.

"And then I said," Riley said, her nose red from the crisp winter air, "speak on Captain Marvel again, and I'll fuck your mother and give her a child she actually loves."

MJ tipped her head back with laughter. "Now imagine if I said something like that about my coworkers. Or my boss."

"Maybe if he was hot, I'd get it." Riley licked her coffee-stained lips. She didn't even notice the boy watching her. Or maybe she did, and she was pretending otherwise. Peter just couldn't help himself.

"You're gross."

"Says the one dating an alien."

"Oh, you're just bitter because you're madly in love with Spider-Man."

"Why does everyone keep saying that to me? I don't even know who he is!" Riley burst. "He could be, like, 40, and we'd never know."

"Aren't you a spy with access to a lot of confidential shit?"

Riley shrugged. "I guess. But I know how this secret identity stuff goes. I don't wanna force it out of him. I wanna know that he trusts me. That way, the day he tells me, I'll get to feel that empowering sense of accomplishment, you know?"

"Oh, believe me, I know all about your Tinker Bell complex."

"Mhm, shut up."

The door opened again with a ding-ding! The girls turned. Riley's face lit up as her eyes landed on Peter.

No, they landed behind him.

"Hey!" Ned greeted.

"There you are!" Riley beamed.