10 | Everybody Loves A Dramatic Entrance

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
x. EVERYBODY LOVES A DRAMATIC ENTRANCE

╚══════════════════╝

   ROMAN WAS STILL GRIPPING Riley's arm when they teleported into a Stark Industries jet

   ROMAN WAS STILL GRIPPING Riley's arm when they teleported into a Stark Industries jet. Back In Black by AC/DC blasted through the speakers — a classic on the Stark Family Playlist.

   "Most convenient superpower ever— Oh!" She froze as Roman tightly hugged her. It took her a second before she pulled her arms around him. "This is so weird."

   "I don't give a shit," he muttered. "This is my first Valor death experience, alright? I didn't like that."

   "Me neither. I'd give you a refund, but I'm still waiting on mine," she said. "Where are we, by the way? What are we doing? Did you actually manage to make a plan without me?"

   "Don't act so surprised," Happy Hogan greeted as he emerged from the cockpit and drew her into a warm hug.

   "When did everyone in this family turn into huggers?" Not that she was complaining.

   "You're the one who died this morning. I just wanted to be one of the first to welcome you back from hell," Happy said.

   "It's so weird," Riley remarked. "They just keep kicking me out!"

   Happy chuckled as he returned to the cockpit. "Officially exiting the Netherlands! We should be landing in London in about 35. How's Peter doing back there?"

   Every question Riley had about the plan and why Happy and Roman were casually gallivanting the Netherlands — never mind, together — suddenly dissipated. Reading her mind, Happy pushed the button that opened the shutter doors containing Tony's travel lab in the back, revealing a hunched-over Peter Parker as he busily worked on what they could only assume was his suit. He peered up at the door's movement, completely freezing once he saw her.

   Riley rushed ahead without realizing it and threw herself at him. It seemed instinctive, how Peter's arms secured around her waist. She cupped his battered face in her hands, noting the dark circles, messy hair, and blood drying over his skin.

   "Riley," was all he said at first. He smiled despite the pain she could tell he was in. He took in every inch of her, noting the new scars. Though the sun healed her wounds, it never erased them entirely. She was radiant, yet permanently marked, like a tormented bear. To those who didn't know her well, it was intimidating, a reminder to thank whatever God they believed in that she wasn't their enemy. Peter never saw her that way though. To him, she was just Riley, the sunny girl who loved movies, chess, and stargazing.