18 | Damage Control

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
xviii. DAMAGE CONTROL

╚══════════════════╝

REPORTING LIVE:RILEY STARK ADDRESSES THE NATION'S FORMER CAPTAIN AMERICA, JOHN WALKER, FOR THE FIRST TIME!

REPORTING LIVE:
RILEY STARK ADDRESSES THE NATION'S FORMER CAPTAIN AMERICA, JOHN WALKER, FOR THE FIRST TIME!

24 hours ago, tragedy struck in Latvia. Sergeant Major Lemar Hoskins, better known as Battlestar, was struck down in a confrontation-turned-fight against the Flag Smashers. In a fit of rage, John Walker chased after the man presumed to be Hoskins's killer and brutally murdered him in a public setting using the Captain America shield. Since then, the United States has claimed jurisdiction in Latvia, and John Walker has officially been denounced from his title as Captain America. Walker will no longer act as an Avenger or representative of the United States.

Riley "Valor" Stark enters the spotlight to address this newfound controversy in an interview for the national news. Everyone looks to the brightest Avenger in this dark hour, and we seek to understand the question of why. What went wrong?

"Good morning, Miss Stark. This situation has certainly sparked a lot of unrest across the globe, so let me be the one to thank you for speaking up as soon as you could. Could you open up about your feelings regarding this situation?" the news reporter asks.

Dressed in professional attire, Riley folds her hands in her lap and ignores the camera fixated on her face. "What happened in Latvia is horrifying. There's no other way to say it. It is a true tragedy to lose a man as devoted and honorable as Lemar Hoskins, but I am equally as devastated hearing how Walker killed that young man, Nico. Lemar and Nico may have been on opposing sides, but they were still people. At the end of the day, every single life lost was a person. This never had to happen, but instead, it was enabled."

"Oh? Could you elaborate on that?"

"Well, the Flag Smashers are radicalized terrorists — or revolutionaries, depending on what side of the coin you're on. They formed on the foundation of perceived mistreatment following the Blip. Before becoming the Flag Smashers, they were used by our government to keep our economy afloat by giving them jobs during the Blip. But that was all taken away when these people couldn't be used anymore, which is how I believe the Flag Smashers actually got their start. Opposing ideas and purposeful ignorance will always become explosive," Riley explains.

"Would you say someone can be blamed for all of this?"

"I... don't know. What the Flag Smashers are doing is just as terrifying as what Walker did in Latvia, you know?" Riley admits. "I'm actively involved in amending this entire conflict, but I will admit that I understand the Flag Smashers' frustrations. I can't imagine living somewhere, in a place where things are working in your favor for once, and having that suddenly taken from you. I would feel betrayed and disappointed, too."