Chapter 3

Harry and I talked to each other more and more often. He became a really good friend. I trust him and , I think, he trusts me. He was really busy with concerts and other band things, but still, he made time for me. Sometimes we hung out somewhere and then we had a lot of fun. Today I called him. They had the results from my mum’s blood samples, but we had to go to the hospital to get them. I didn’t have a good feeling about it. And I knew my father was worried too.

At the hospital a doctor came towards us. “Hello I’m doctor Gibson,” the man said and he shook hands with my father. “Hello, I’m Adam and this is my wife Stacy.” “Okay, come this way,” the doctor said and we followed him. We went to a little room with only white walls. We sat down in a chair. The doctor cleared his throat. “So ,we’ve tested your blood and... it’s bad news.” “But what is it then?” I heard my father asking. “It’s liver cancer,” the doctor said when he looked at my father. “We still have to do a lot of research to know what type and the size it is, but it doesn’t look that good right now. We assume the chances of survival are 60% but it can be worse or better, we’re not sure. It’s going to be a very tough battle.” The doctor said again. I thought I would fall out of my chair. This just couldn’t happen! I saw the doctor saying something to my mum but I didn’t hear it, I was too shocked. I saw my mother and father crying. I felt a tear rolling down my cheek. I saw Jessie running to my mum and hugging her. But I couldn’t move, I was  in shock.

When we sat in the car back home it was really quiet, nobody said a thing. I stared out of the window. I really had to call Sam when I was back home. I needed her. And I had to call Harry. I needed him too.

When I was home I called Sam, but I didn’t really know what to say. Sam’s parents were in a divorce and Sam was having difficulties with it. I didn’t want to bother her with this, but I knew I had to tell her, because she’s my best friend and we don’t keep secrets.

“Hey Sammie”

“Hi Emma, what’s it?”

“Uhm, we got the results of my mum’s blood samples today. It’s eh, it’s not good.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Well, she, uhm she...”  I couldn’t bring myself to say it. I felt tears burning in my eyes, as I tried to pull myself together again. “She has liver cancer, Sam, and I don’t know what to do.” Sam didn’t respond. I knew she was trying to think of something comforting to say. I knew she wasn’t going to say “it’s going to be alright” because we don’t know if it’s going to be okay. After a few minutes of silence, Sam had found her voice again.

“Did they say what the chances are she’ll live?”

“They have to do a lot of research but it doesn’t look that good now. Only 60%. Oh Sam, what do I do? I can’t lose her!” I was crying now, and I knew that Sam didn’t know what to do either. She loved my mum as well. We were really close and we went over to each other’s house almost daily. My mum was like a second mum to Sam, as was hers to me.

“She’s a strong woman, Em, if anyone can make it through this, it’s her.”

“Yeah, she is, but I’m just so scared right now”

“You know that I’m here for you, don’t you? Do you want me to come over?”

“Yes I know, you’re a great friend. I want to be with my family now, but thank you.”

“Are you going to tell Susie?”

“I don’t know.” I really didn’t know if I wanted to tell her. We were fighting so much lately. She could get angry over the tiniest things. I didn’t understand why, though, because we didn’t fight as much as we do now only a month ago. And besides that, she always spreads rumours. I don’t want the entire school to know about this. Not yet at least. I want to tell the people closest to me first, and if I’m ready others can know.