CHAPTER 13

When Mera heard the news of Hurrem's pregnancy, she swiftly acted, sending a congratulating letter to Suleiman so that she can keep his favour, while talking with the man in the stables, Rustem his name was, so that he can talk with his friends and see whether there is a poison that will effectively kill the woman without it being caught.

In the meanwhile, she went to visit Hurrem hatun in her chambers, Emine and Fulane following behind her.

Once she entered, hurrem hatun and Fatme, the other concubine stood up and bowed. Mera signalled with her head for Fatma to leave them alone and with her hand for Hurrem to sit, while she sat next to her comfortably.

"My dear Hurrem, I hear congratulations are in order." Said Mera with a fake sweet smile.

Hurrem either did not notice the bitter edge to the sultan's voice or acted like she didn't, wether she was still naive or not did matter, Mera was going to kill her either way.

"Thank you, Sultana, I'm just happy to do my duty to the sultan." Replied Hurrem with a shy smile.

Mera chuckled a bit loudly, which caused hurrem's shy smile to fade a bit. "Oh Hurrem, I'm not the valide or Hatice, you do not need to speak to me this way. In fact, if, God willing, this child is a boy, then you'll be of the same status as Mahidevran, so you do not need to fear her either."

Hurrem simply nodded, thinking thoroughly of the sultan's words.

"How are you settling in? This chamber is no good for a pregnant concubine, nor is this bed, why didn't the valide get a new chamber ready for you?" Mera asked again.

When Hurrem shrugged her shoulders, confused, Mera continued again. "Oh right, the valide doesn't like you either, I heard of what she was planning on doing, it's horrible really, especially when she's always talking about how we should follow the rules of the harem, and there she was not doing the same. If it was Mahidevran, she'd have hidden her plots and protected her..." Mera scoffed, when she saw she had the attention of the red-haired concubine, she inwardly smirked.

"You just take care of yourself and your child, it's all that matters now, it is your future, and your ticket to heaven. And we wouldn't want something bad to happen to the prince." She added with a worried look on her face.

Though if she had anything to do about it, Mera is the one who will kill the child before he draws breath. It would be a mercy, killing him before he gets the chance to live, everyone would mourn and suffer less for it.

"Don't worry Sultana, I will take care well of my child, he'll be born healthy and strong, just like his father." Hurrem replied happily.

Mera nodded her head and left.

Two days later, Rustem Agha sent Sumbul to fetch the sultan, he had found poison for her to use.

"This poison is effective in the long run, you can put it on her food or her dress now every day, and it will take effect in a few months." Said Rustem with a small proud smile.

"How long are a few months? Before she gives birth or after?" Asked Mera.

"It depends on how much she takes daily, it can take 4 months if she takes a lot, but if she takes a small dose, it can be up to even 2 years."

"So I'll just have to give her big doses?"

"Yes, but be wary Sultana. It can take big effects if she takes a lot at once."

"Hmm." Nodded Mera thoughtfully, quickly thinking of how to execute her plan. "And if she takes a lot, but in different ways at once, then how will it work?"

"What do you mean sultana?"

"What if she washes herself with poisoned soap? Wear poisoned clothes and eats poisoned food?" She asked seriously before adding. "All at once, every day, until she dies."

"It'd be effective and quicker than using in just one way." He affirmed. "But sultana, you'd need to divide the poison equally for it to take effect."

Mera nodded with a smile, before sighing in relief. "Thank you, Rustem."

"I should be the one thanking you, Sultana, you're the one who offered me this job, without it, I'd still be a Jewish orphan with no mastered craft." Rustem bowed again in gratitude.

Mera smiled and replied. "This is just the beginning Rustem, it's a bloody game, the one I'm playing, and it's just starting, I'm glad you're loyal to me, as long as it remains this way, you'll only receive good in your life."

"Of course, Sultana. I'm always at your service." Rustem replied again.

Once back at her chambers, Mera ordered Emine to come with Sumbul Agha and made sure to enter the back chamber, further away from the door, so as not to allow anyone to eavesdrop on them.

Once they were all there, Mera quickly showed them the poison bottles she acquired.

"Is that poison, my Sultana?" Asked Sumbul Agha worriedly.

"Yes, it's for Suleiman's newest concubine, my congratulating gift for her pregnancy," Mera told them with a smirk.

"But sultana, if she dies because of poison, the hakime would know and they'd catch you, she's pregnant with the sultan's child, you'd be executed for royal murder," Sumbul said worriedly, Emine nodding with him, eyes worried.

Mera chuckled. "Oh relax! No need to worry, she's not going to die with poison today or anytime soon, and no one will ever know I poisoned her, besides the three of us of course."

"But how?" Asked Emine.

"This poison is a bit different, it only worms when the poisoned person takes it every day for a long period of time, Hurrem's period will start today and will end soon," Mera explained, she then turned to Emine. "I need you to find a way to get into Hurrem's new chambers, mix this bottle with the soap she uses to wash her body and some of it in her perfume bottles, and make sure you're not seen."

Emine took the bottle and nodded.

Mera then turned to Sumbul Agha. "I need you to pay a visit to the kitchen, I want you to know which pastry Hurrem hatun eats every day, and then find a maid you can trust to put the poison there. But do not tell her I'm not the one sending you in, it was Mahidevran Sultan who ordered you. Alright?"

Sumbul Agha nodded and took his bottle.

Then they left the room, only for Fulane hatun to enter, the children with her. Mera quickly smiled and ushered them to hug her, before promising to read them stories in the garden that afternoon.

   A new chapter, finally!! For those wondering who the man in the stables was, it's rustem! He will play a big role in the story as Mera's strongest ally, I opted for keeping his introduction the same as it was in the show, the only difference is...

   A new chapter, finally!! For those wondering who the man in the stables was, it's rustem! He will play a big role in the story as Mera's strongest ally, I opted for keeping his introduction the same as it was in the show, the only difference is that he's a jew in this book, which makes him by definition, 100% more loyal to Mera than the others.

Do you think Mera will get caught? Will her plan succeed?