CHAPTER 09

                                               When the next morning came and Mera finished her breakfast with her lover and children, she decided to visit the harem and sit with the girls for a while, Mihrisah followed her, but then decided to join her siblings in the garden, where no doubt Suleiman and Ibrahim were with the other pashas and janissaries.

Most maids welcomed her with genuine smiles, especially after seeing the gold coins she had Emine distribute to them, some were less inclined to accept them, and the sultan and her maid made sure to remember their faces and their names, but thankfully, the visit was overall a success, and everyone was taking her. Mera could see Hurrem glaring down at her and the other jariyes from the favourite's chambers, but she decided to pay her no mind, she would have to see her at night during the harem party anyway.

Once back to her chambers, she summoned Nigar Kalfa and asked her about Hurrem's doings and inquiries during the last two days ever since she came back from his majesty's rooms, Emine had already given her a full report of all the harem's intrigues while she was gone, but she always intended to test her maids, and Emina, along with Sumbul and Fulane were the only ones she would always fully trust.

Nigar Kafa, seemed to say the truth, although somewhat reluctant, as it was already pointed out to the sultana, she became very close to the Slavic concubine."My sultana, she had been very happy and smug about her endeavours with the sultan when she came and then became sad when the sultan hadn't asked for her for the next two nights, but she seemed to forget all about it when Daye hatun and Sumbul agha came with gifts from the sultan and sent her to the new favourite's chambers."

Mera nodded with a small mocking smile."And you helped her settle in her room, didn't you?"

Nigar Kalfa gulped and said."Yes, my sultana."

"Tell me what did she say?"

"Nothing of importance sultana...She started laughing historically and playing with her new bed sheets and pillows, once she finished jumping around her room, she dismissed me and asked if she could have her friend Maria with her." Admitted Nigar.

Mera nodded and dismissed the Kalfa, once she turned to look at Emine, they shared a knowing look."Sultana, she said nothing about how Hurrem have been cursing you ever since you were sent to the sultan, or how she said that she will become the master of the palace."

"Hmm, it seems Nigar is not to be fully trusted, but that does not mean she cannot serve us, let her think she is fooling us, I know how to deal with her likes, but the maid Maria, I told you to keep an eye on her, did you?"

"Yes sultana, she seems loyal to Hurrem, but a bit jealous of her at times, I have no doubt that she would refuse a rise in station, even if it means betraying her friend."

Mera smiled then, and muttered."Good, now tonight we will have a party in the harem, I am sure that the idiot will do something stupid, and the valide would no doubt defend her, I just hope it's Hurrem related. I would hate to tell Sueiman that something evil had befallen his newest doll." she mocked with a smirk, her maid nodding with her. "We need to be careful Emine, we're wandering in dangerous waters now, we can afford to lose everyone's support but not the king, tell me did you get any new information on Hatice Sultan and Ibra--" The sultan trailed off just to be interrupted by a knock on the door, which opened hastily to show a running Mihrisah with a large smile on her face.

The sultan smiled and crouched down to hug her daughter and lift her up, smothering her face and neck with small kisses, the young sultana giggled and smiled."Mama, I missed you."

"I missed you too my sweet, but we only saw each other in the morning, did you forget?"

"No, I remember, but I still missed you," she admitted with an adorable pout.

"Tell me, mama, will I wear a new dress ad jewellery today?" She asked with a small innocent voice.

Mera laughed heartily, followed by Fulane and Emine."Oh, my jewel, of course, you will, you are the daughter of the sultan of the world, and you will be the prettiest sultan today, come I will let you choose your own dress today, how does that sound to you?"

Mihrisah's eyes widened and she started jumping around the room happily. Once Fulane brought the jewellery chest, the young girl of two summers had calmed down and started looking at the items her mother was showing her, she looked at a headband with rubies and smiled, thinking nothing of what she was about how dangerous the thing she had to say was, "Oh mama, I like this one, I saw baba's servant Pargali Ibrahim give a similar one to aunt Hatice yesterday in the gardens."

Mera's eyes widened and she shared an anxious look with her maids. "Fulane, if what she says is true then why have you not told me?" Sh scolded her maid half(heartedly, she knew that spying was not the maid's strongest suit, but she was amazing with children, hence her appointment as their governess."I haven't seen him give her anything Sultana. I swear it."

At the same time, Mihrisah protested." I am not lying, I saw them! Fulan hatun was running after Murad and I saw aunt Hatice approach us with Mustafa, i didn't want to join them, but Mustafa sat near father and Osman and I didn't want to leave them alone, so I went, but I saw Pargali Ibrahim giving her the bracelet and a letter, aunt hatice gave them to Gulfem hatun!"

"I believe you, my pearl. It's alright, now tell me which item do you want to wear today?" The Sultan asked with a smile.

Mihrisah smiled again and chose an emerald bracelet and headband so that she could match it with her dress and her mother's own look.

Mera did not say no to her daughter, instead, she smiled proudly at her daughter's strong character that has been showing more and more since she could speak, Mihrisah would grow to be a willful and strong woman, one who is not easily influenced, nor is a romantic fool.

If Mahidevran and the valide hated anything more than Mera Sultan, it was Mihrisah and Mera matching colours and dresses, it was a clear message, that the young girl belonged to her mother and would support her siblings more than anyone else. Alas, they could do nothing about it, as the sultana was not breaking any harem rules, something that infuriated the valide and frustrated her more than anything.

A bit of a slow filler chapter, but it's an important one nonetheless, Mihrisah is growing to be a menace! and she's a very curious child as well, next chapter will be about the harem party where Hurrem dances for the sultanas and gets thrown in the dungeons, how do you think Mera will act in that case? What are yall's expectations?