Chapter 34

"Well I think that's our best plan," JJ says to the others and none of them look convinced. He's just explained how they should storm the bridge of the ship by stealing weapons from the armory. JJ's plans usually involve crazy and convoluted ideas but in this case, that's exactly what they need.

While JJ is trying to convince the boys of his plan, Kiara finds a vent window that can get them out of the container. As they huddle around it, JJ whips out his Swiss army knife and begins unscrewing the bolts on the window.

"Okay so we raid the armory, which is on the third level, load up with weapons and come back here to regroup before taking the bridge yeah?" JJ says as he pulls the vent out of its place leaving a large square opening in its place for them to climb out of.

"JJ we can't all go out there," Pope says.

"Yeah JJ, I think you should stay here," John B. adds to which JJ throws out an onslaught of objections.

"I am going to go after Gracie and Sarah and Pope is going after the cross, we need you in here in case we get in bind and need help," John B. says but JJ is still put out by the decision and storms off mumbling about sitting on the bench.

Before they can climb out, Kiara stops John B. and Pope saying, "Just don't get shot. That's all I got."

"The concern on the boys' faces was evident as they lowered themselves head first out of the container and onto the deck of the ship where they hid from some crew members behind a large crate.

***

It was just us girls left in the cabin and none of us had said a word except for Wheezie, of course.

"You guys wanna play War?" Wheezie asks, looking bored out of her mind.

"You brought cards? Sure." Sarah replies and I look at her confused as to how she's at all in the mood for card games. Meanwhile, I feel so angry I could launch the table across the room.

"I'll go grab them," Wheezie says cheerfully and heads out of the room.

"Can't say I'm in the mood for card games," I say to express my annoyance.

"Your little sister wants to play cards, suck it up, Gracie. We're all here together, enjoy it," Rose says and before I can react Sarah gets up and stumbles almost falling over. She looks like she's about to be sick.

"Sarah? Are you okay?" I say standing and going over to her as she leans against the cabinet.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Rose asks her as she puts down her magazine.

"I think I'm seasick," Sarah says and she looks it.

"Hang on, I've got just the thing to help," Rose replies and gets up and goes over to the small bathroom.

"Meds? Really?" I say to Rose, in disbelief that she thinks we'd actually take any pill she'd give us.

"Stop it. You girls know I hated doing that to you, but it was for your own good. Just chill, okay?" Rose says distractly as she looks for the medicine.

"Just make sure it's non drowsy," Sarah replies and I chuckle at her sarcasm. As I go to sit back down, Sarah grabs my wrist and motions her eyes toward the door.

"Lets go," She mouths the words and we quietly and swiftly exit the cabin and turn and run down the hall to where the stairs are.

"Okay that was brilliant," I say to her still holding her hand as I guide us down the narrow hallways.

"Well, if I stayed there any longer I was gonna strangle Rose," Sarah says as we stop and try opening several doors in the hall with no success.

"Well, it would be for her own good," I say, mocking the way Rose spoke to us over the sleeping pills and we both laugh as we make our way to the outside of the ship and onto the deck.

This thing was huge, I had no idea how we'd even begin to get out of here and away from our family. I didn't even know where we were or how long we'd been asleep.

"Hey!" Sarah whispers and points to the bridge of the ship where several men are talking and laughing. Then I see it, a radio, laying there for the taking.

We make a plan where I would roll a few of the paint barrels we found across the deck to draw their attention away and then Sarah would run in to grab the radio. Not exactly a foolproof plan or an overly complicated crazy one like JJ's, but it should work.

I push the large white barrel onto its side and roll it past the door of the room the men are in. The room is all windows so I stay hidden and climb down a ladder to a lower level to wait for Sarah. A minute or two passes and Sarah never shows, my heart starts to double in speed as I panic. I climb back up the ladder and peer over the edge but I don't see her. When I walk over to where we hid before I can hear a man talking and saying something about a child stealing his radio and then I peek around the corner I see who I assume is the captain holding Sarah and the radio.

"Fuck," I mutter to myself and press myself against the steel wall of the ship. The coolness of the metal feels good in the blinding heat from the sun. I figure we must have gone pretty far south by now due to the heat and the color of the water, bright blue. I wait until the man takes Sarah back to the bridge of the ship to follow behind them and when I get to the bridge I see our father arguing with the man while two others stand with Sarah. I can't make out anything they're saying but I notice as our father gets progressively more mad and the other seems scared.

There's nothing I can do while all those guys stand there with Sarah, we'll both get taken and probably drugged if I do anything right now. I start walking back around the ship looking for a place to hide till I can think of a plan or until we get to port and I can get off and figure out a way to get Sarah from there. There's so many small rooms and little nooks to hide in but I don't know where I could go that a crew member wouldn't think to look when dad eventually sends them out looking for me. If I could get into one of those cargo containers I saw on the other side of the ship, that would be perfect but I'd rather not be locked inside one of those things.

I finally found a small room that's basically a broom closet but it'll have to do. I can hear crew members starting to search the ship but they also said they're searching for stowaways, as if anyone would wanna sneak onto this piece of crap. I feel so useless sitting in this musty little closet but I don't know how I could get to Sarah without getting caught myself. I have to just sit here and wait till we get to port and pray that I can actually get out of here and hope for a miracle.