Chapter Five

"Gracie, wake up!" I hear someone shouting my name and feel my bed shaking slightly. I open my eyes slightly and feel the sunshine burn into them.

"What?" I ask half asleep.

"Come on, we have to get stuff together for dinner tonight," Sarah says to me.

"Why?" I say as I sit up in my bed to see that Sarah is already dressed and ready for the day.

"What time is it?" I ask her.

"It's 8:30, and she says if we don't help that they'll ground us" she tells me as I get out of bed.

"As if Dad would do that"

"I don't want to find out so come on, we have to go get flowers for the centerpieces on the table. The florist apparently had some mishap so we have to get different ones"

I throw on a loose sundress since it's so hot out and head downstairs to meet Sarah who's waiting in the car blasting music. We drive into town and since it's a saturday there's the local farmers market set up. Sarah and Wheezie and I have gone here a few times to get some groceries and other things. There's lots of cute little stands that give out free samples of honey or hot sauce that the sellers make themselves. We head towards the stand selling fresh cut wildflowers and get about six bouquets worth of flowers.

"I hope that's enough" I say to her as I pick up a few extra flowers that I plan to put in my room. I pick up some white daisies and then some sunflowers and to add a pop of color I grab some small blue flowers.

"I'll get two more just to be safe" Sarah says and asks the seller to wrap up two more bouquets worth. I get my small bouquet wrapped up and we head towards the car when I hear someone calling my name.

"Gracie!" It's JJ and John B. carrying what looks like heavy boxes towards Heyward's stand.

"I'll be right back" I say to Sarah but then I see she's following me over.

"You don't have to come"

"I'm not just going to sit in the car. You know I'm not gonna be like Rose or dad and be all weird about it.They're your friends Gracie, I'm going to say hi to them" Sarah said and gave me a smile. Sarah and I could get along really well sometimes and it was moments like this that didn't make me feel so isolated in our family.

Heyward is busy at his stand grilling some meat for sandwiches and other things and Pope is busy too.

"It smells great Heyward" I say.

"Thanks hun. You hungry?" Heyward asks us.

"I wish but we can't stay. Rose sent us out to get flowers for this dinner thing and with it being this hot out, they'd be wilted in the car" I say. Sarah does try the piece Heyward offered to her with a toothpick and the two of them are talking when I look over at John B. He was already staring at me and when we make eye contact he smiles at me.

"Are you blushing John B" I whisper to him.

"You look really pretty in your dress" He says back in a shy voice.

"Come on Gracie we better head back" Sarah says to me as she walks away from the stand and waits for me.

"I'll see you later right?" John B. asks quietly.

"I better" I say and give him a wink and turn to follow Sarah.

"Um, what was that?" Sarah asks as we get in the car.

"What was what?"

"You and John B, I could see the chemistry there. Are you guys a thing?" She asks again with a smile.