Chapter Three

"Come on babes, you can't stand there looking like that and expect me not to look at you" He says as he walks closer to me.

"John B, stop it come on, the guys are right outside" I say trying to make my tone more serious but once again failing.

John B. and I had been secretly dating now for over a month. We felt guilty hiding it from JJ, Kiara, and Pope but it was also exciting at the same time. The "no pogue on pogue" rule is basically a joke at this point because no one actually follows it. Except Kiara really believes in it so we aren't sure how she'll react. And of course no one in my family knows, I think Sarah could have some suspicion but she doesn't know for sure. The one night she overheard me talking to John B. on the phone but she didn't know who I was talking to.

"Okay okay but you owe me" He says and pushes his lips onto mine sending fireworks off through me.

John B. goes back outside with the others and I finish getting changed around. I throw on one of John B's sweatshirts because even though summer was just starting, it was pretty chilly tonight. I then grab some cups and a jug of lemonade from the fridge and bring it outside with me to the bonfire where the pogues are sitting.

"Anybody want a makeshift margarita?" I ask as I hold up the lemonade and the tequila bottle. Followed by a cadence of yeses.

The sun was starting to set and there was a small sea breeze coming in as we all sat around the fire talking and getting slightly drunk.

"So what's our big plan for the summer?" JJ asks us and we all look around and laugh.

"Have a good time" I say.

"All the time" John B. follows up.

A few hours go by and it's almost midnight when I get a text that sends my already drunk mind spiraling.

"Why aren't you home yet? If you're not back by one, we're sending Rafe to pick you up"

Usually I would ignore Rose's texts but the thought of Rafe coming here and interacting with the pogues does scare me. Most people wouldn't think of Rafe as the "picks his little sister up from a friends" kind of brother but he hates the pogues so much so he wouldn't miss an opportunity to get me away from them. Both my dad and Rose don't like the idea of me staying out all night with the pogues but I usually just tell them I am staying the night at Kiara's which they can't really argue with. But tomorrow we have some dinner party with a bunch of Rose and dad's clients to bring in more business and its "pivotal that everything goes perfectly" as Rose would say. I guess they don't want to risk me not showing up tomorrow and bailing to hang with the pogues.

"John B. I need to go home now" I say as I stand up and am slightly off balance as I do.

"What? Why?" I can tell he's slightly annoyed and or upset.

"Rose texted me and wants me home and-"

"Since when do you care about what Rose says?" JJ cuts me off and asks me.

"Since she threatened to send Rafe to pick me up"

"Okay understandable" Pope mumbles as he's half passed out on the grass.

"Ugh why do they always try to control you? It's so unfair" Kiara says as she takes a hit of the blunt JJ just rolled.

"Because it's just a bunch of kook bullshit" I say as I head into the house to get my things with John B. following me. I go to take off his sweatshirt but he stops me.

"Nah keep it, you look good in my clothes" He says and smiles at me.

"I like wearing your clothes" I say and wink at him as I get my backpack from his room.

"You really think they would send Rafe? You think they're just bluffing?" He asks as he sits down on his couch.

"I don't know but I don't want to take the chance that they aren't" I say as I sit down next to him.

I peek outside the window to see what the gang is doing and Pope has gone over to the hammock and passed out there and JJ and Kie have their backs to the house as they share the blunt. Seeing that no one will be inside soon I lean my head on John B's shoulder and grab his hand to hold. I really hate being away from him even if it's only for a little while. That feeling was how I knew I wanted to be with him. I just always wanted to be with him no matter what and one day we were both free and spent the entire day just the two of us. We spent hours surfing and then came back to the chateau and made dinner together. Afterwards we sat out on the hammock together and he kissed me for the first time and things just sort of started from there. We both were like "wow how haven't we been doing this the entire time"

"I don't want to leave but I can't take the risk of Rafe coming here and losing it on you guys" I say.

"Hey, it's okay. I'll come rescue you tomorrow night after the party" He says as he looks at me and brushes the hair behind my ear.

"Promise?"

"Promise"