Chapter 20

As I steer the small boat towards my home, the saltwater sprays me and reminds me of riding on the boat with my sisters and brother when we were little. Our dad would let us sit on the back of the Druthers and dangle our legs in the water as he slowly steered the boat. Now I see that same huge boat ahead of me as I approach the house. It's big floor to ceiling windows that I used to love to look through peer back at me and I wonder if anyone is inside looking at me as I approach the dock. I tie up the boat and walk the same familiar steps of the dock into my backyard. As I look around, I worry no one is home but then I see him. My dad was getting out of his Range Rover and I almost thought he didn't notice me and then I see his face light up.

"OMG Gracie, you're okay! You're home!" He says with a huge smile on his face.

"Stay back," I say in a shaky voice. The thought broke my heart but I was scared of him. I was scared of his alter ego that comes out murders innocent people, the ego that lets teenagers take the fall for a murder they didn't commit.

"Okay, okay, I'm back," He says but he's still smiling. Piranha's smile too.

"You told me that if I came back the night of the storm you would tell the truth. You would admit to all the horrible things you've done and clear John B's name. Well I'm here and I need you to do that," I say, steadying my voice and trying to let any emotion come through.

"You know I can't do that Gracie. If I do that you're brother goes down for murder," He says and my heart sinks. The glimmer of hope I had was dimming.

"He killed Sheriff Peterkin, he has to pay for that. Maybe then he can get real help. Help you've never given him," I say and I feel desperate now.

"I won't do that. I won't choose between you. I won't choose between my children," He says and crushes the last shreds of hope I had in my father.

"Just come inside, Sweetie, you're home now. Everything will be okay," He adds and reaches out to touch me.

"No, I'm not coming home. I'm not living under the roof of two murderers who refuse to take respnoisbility for the hell that they cause. I don't even recognize you," I say to him and I can't stop the tears that flow down my cheeks and the crack in my voice.

"Don't talk to me like that!" He says to me in a calm but angry tone that sends chills down my spine. Is that how Rafe felt every time they argued? Scared? Is that how John B's dad felt before he killed him? Or Gavin?

"You used to be kind and honest, at least I thought you were. Now I don't even know who you are." I say and turn around to head back to the boat and back to John B.

"Don't walk away Grace! Grace! Come back!" He yells at my back but I don't turn around. I run to the boat and untie it as fast as I can. When I look back, through my tears I can see my dad head inside the patio doors.

We have to get out of here now. There was no convincing Rafe or my dad to do what was right. John B, could go down for this with the way Shoupe works with him. As I approach the Pogues, John B. runs closer to help me off the boat.

"What happened?" John B. asks nervously.

"He chose Rafe. He won't help us," I say and I feel almost embarrassed at the words.

"Okay that settles it then, you guys have to get out of here," JJ says.

"Yeah you guys need to get out of town and we'll figure it out okay?" Pope says after JJ.

"Guys, look!" Kie yells and we all turn to see police boats with lights and sirens approaching.

"OMG go!" I yell and we all run into the woods. I feel the pain throughout my side as the running pulls at my stitches. John B. and I are in the back but all I want is for him to run as fast and as far as he can go, even if it means without me.

"John B, run ahead! You have to get out of here!" I say to him between breaths.

"I'm not leaving you," He says back and grabs my hand pulling me along. We get to an inlet and have to swim across to the other side. JJ grabs my other hand and helps me get down the embankment. When we get out of the water theres lights coming from all sides of us. We're trapped.

"What do we do?" Pope yells as we all gather behind a tree.

"I got it," JJ says and he begins drying off his pistol.

"JJ, no!" I say to him and then John B. looks at me for a few moments and I know it's over. He won't let JJ risk getting shot, or any of us shot. He grabs JJ and they stare at each other for a moment as well. He grabs the gun and throws it in the dirt just as Shoupe pulls up to us in his Sheriff truck that Peterkin once drove.

"John B!" I yell to him and run and wrap my arms around him like I'm holding on for dear life. I don't know when the next time I'll be able to hug him will be now.

"It'll be okay," He says as he looks into my eyes and then kisses me. And then hes gone. The officer grabs him and throws him to the ground.

"No! Stop! He didn't do anything!" I yell and try to run to him but another officer grabs me and holds me back.

"Shoupe he didn't do anything! You know that man!" JJ yells as the officer punches John B. so hard he's now unconscious.

"No!" I yell and try to shove the officer off of me but its useless. I feel as though the world is ending. All I can do is watch as they load John B. into the back of the truck, he's barely even conscious. The officer holding me takes me over to another cruiser and puts me in the back.

"Let go of her! She didn't do anything!"JJ yells at Shoupe.

"This is ridiculous!" Kiara yells. Pope is standing there looking frightened and angry all at the same time.

I pull at the handle of the car door but it's locked on both sides. I'm trapped and these officers are going to escort me right back to my dad. Right back into being locked in my own house.

We pull away and the Pogues are also being escorted into the other police cars. This isn't how our lives were supposed to go. This was supposed to be a simple summer.