Chapter 30

We all fell asleep at John B's and when we woke up the mood has not changed at all, if anything it's become more depressing. Pope is so angry and frustrated and none of us are sure where to go from here. I go to the kitchen and make some pancakes to try and cheer everyone up. Everyone eats happily and we go toward the porch to relax. It's chillier out today than it has been and it feels nice. As I sit curled up next to John B, my phone starts buzzing and I see Sarah is calling me.

"Gracie! You have to get over here! There's something you guys have to see!" Sarah shouts into the phone.

"What's going on? Is dad there?" I ask not wanting to take everyone there obviously if he was.

"No, but I don't know when he'll be back so you have to come quick!" And then she hangs up the phone.

After I convince everyone that it's safe to go, we head over to my house. Sarah is waiting for us outside when we get there and we all quickly follow her to our dining room but it doesn't look like the dining room. The wallpaper that once covered its walls is torn apart on the floor and there are drawings all over the wall as well as a large hole toward the one end of the wall.

"What is this?" I ask, looking at the pictures.

"It's a map," Pope says.

"These drawings match the one's Denmark made in his journal," John B. says as we all look around.

"How did you figure this out?" I ask Sarah but she explains that she found the room like this.

"I know who did," I hear Wheezie say and we all jump at her sudden presence.

"Wheeze, what happened," And she goes on to tell us that a woman with crutches who we know to be Limbrey, came here. She asked dad to show her the room and started talking about angels.

"It's a map to the cross! Everyone look for an angel!" Pope yells and we all look at the drawings searching for anything that resembles an angel but no one can find anything.

"Guy, look at this," JJ yells and we all rush to see him pointing at what looks like a keyhole on a tree.

"It's an angel tree," He says.

"You're a genius, JJ" I yell.

We all turn to rush out the door and to the van but Wheezie stops Sarah and I asking what was going on.

"Wheezie, there's a lot going on right now but we'll explain later, love you!" We both say we love you in unison and follow the others out the door.

"Sarah, are you coming along for this adventure?" I ask as she hesitates to get in the van.

"You're coming," I say before she can answer and pull her into the van.

As we drive through the muggy swamp area of the outer banks, the road becomes less visible as the tide rises.

"Um what's the likelihood we get through there?" John B. asks JJ who is in the passenger seat next to him.

"They're not great," JJ replies.

"Oh come one, we all know you're gonna do it. Like when have any of y'all ever done the safe thing?" Sarah says laughing and we all follow in her amusement. I was happy to have her here with me. Her and I often felt like we were on two different sides of everything. She never cared that I was a Pogue but I always wondered if a part of her was jealous. Jealous that I was able to get out of the Kook life that she was wrapped up in. But none of that mattered now. John B. floors it and we thankfully end up on dryland, getting through the swamp water. As we get out of the van JJ warns us of alligators and begins barking because he claims it scares them.