Chapter 54

The inside of the tent was furnished with a full sized bed, a small seating area and a large dining table with plenty of food and cushioned chairs. Raphael motioned Leyla to a chair, then pulled his seat closer to hers before taking his own place.

Alec noticed the move, but said nothing as he sat in the remaining place. "Ley-" he stopped himself. "Lady Alessa, have you been well?"

"Thank you, your Highness." Leyla nodded, feeling as though she was in a strange dream. The last time she spoke with Alec, she had pointed her sword at him and now he was giving her polite pleasantries? "I have been well."

"I'm glad." Alec continued looking at her and she remembered how often she used to see his face. The countless times they shared meals, the endless hours they trained side by side. The seconds ticked by without a sound until Raphael cleared his throat.

"Your Highness, you have yet to enlighten us with the purpose of your visit. I am sure you are not just taking a tour of the Four Kingdoms, not without your new bride beside you?"

The image of the Warrior Queen's heinous face filled the space between them, bursting the pink haze of memories. Alec had a bride. He was married. He had married the Warrior Princess and asked Leyla to be his mistress. Her back stiffening, Leyla broke eye contact with the King.

"You are right, I am not just touring. I came to apologise on behalf of the Queen." Alec said. He was looking at Raphael now. "She took actions without my knowledge, for which she is paying the price. My only hope is that her deeds have not damaged the relationship between our Kingdoms."

"You needn't worry about that, your Highness. All is well between our kingdoms." Raphael reached for a green grape from the table between them, and popped it into his mouth. When he looked at Alec next, his eyes were cold. "However, should any Warrior, Queen or otherwise, attempt to harm my consort again, no apology will suffice to stop the action the Land of Light will take."   

Leyla saw the muscle in Alec's jaw clench as he nodded. "Understood."

"Great," Raphael was back to his cordial self, "Then, we should have nothing more to discuss."

"Actually, Prorex." Alec spoke quickly when it looked like Raphael was about to stand. "I know your laws will not allow an exact reciprocation, but since we had the pleasure of hosting you in the Warrior Kingdom, I thought we might at least be able to share a meal here together, before I leave."

Leyla's brows drew together at what was essentially censure of the Land of Light's hospitality. Was Alec really fooled by Raphael's easy going appearance into believing he could manipulate  the Prorex with insults to his kingdom? 

She straightened in her seat, trying to think of something to say to defuse what was to come but Raphael's laughter stopped her short. 

"King Alec, I have to admit that you have me confused," Raphael smiled as his fingers tapped slowly on the arm of his seat. "Your life was saved with our medicine. Your uninvited soldiers were welcomed with food, bedding and shelter and your murderous wife was forgiven by our magnanimity. I'm curious, but what kind of exact reciprocation were you after?"  

Alec's face coloured at the question, but the Prorex was not done: "Regardless, if a meal is what you wish for, then I'll be happy to indulge." He put his hand on Leyla's then, giving it a short squeeze. "But I should take my consort back first."  

"Why?" Alec cleared his throat after his hasty exclamation. "I mean, the consort's presence would liven the meal." 

"You're right," Raphael's smile did not reach his eyes, "But my consort and I have spent a rather sleepless night. She's tired and needs her rest."

Leyla's cheeks went up in flames at the implication. Alec's face too had gained some colour, but he looked more angry than embarrassed.

"I understand," Alec said threw clenched teeth. Then he picked up the wine glass in front of him and drained it in one swift gulp. "Now that I think of it,  I drove my Warriors hard to get here as quickly as I could, so I too am in need of rest. Perhaps we can have a meal tomorrow, instead."

Leyla could see that Raphael was going to refuse Alec's suggestion and if this continued, they would soon stop burying their dislike under layers of civility and become outright hostile. "Prorex, if we don't have time for a meal, perhaps we can promise to see the King off in the morning?"

Both men looked at her as if they had forgotten for a moment that she was there. Then Raphael was smiling at her, "An excellent notion. We shall see you in the morning then, Your Highness."

"I'll look forward to it," Alec stood to lead the way out. Just as Leyla was about to leave the tent, the Warrior King spoke again, halting them both in their tracks. "Prorex, with your permission, may I have a quick word with Lady Alessa?"

Raphael did not turn around. She could feel the tension in his body, then he squared his shoulders. "A quick word, if the Lady wishes it."

Did she wish it? She wasn't sure, but her feet would not move as she watched Raphael walk several paces from the entrance of the tent, then halt, not once looking back in their direction.

"Leyla," Alec took a step towards her, reaching for her. She moved back, holding out her hands in defence.

"Your Highness, please say what you want to say quickly."

"Leyla, please, don't push me away." Alec looked hurt by her formality, but she couldn't help it. Seeing him again brought back so many memories, both good and bad, that her mind was a mess. He was looking at her like he had at the pond in the Greenlands, full of longing and promise. But, even as she felt a small tug in her heart, her eyes fell on the black circle on his neck. The circle she had drawn herself at his wedding. 

He was no longer Commander Alec who had protected her and claimed to love her. He was King Alec, husband of the Warrior Queen.

"I don't have much time, so if there's nothing else -"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry!" Alec shoved his hands through his hair, then gave her a helpless look. "I'm sorry for so many things, I don't even know where to begin! I shouldn't have let you go. I shouldn't have underestimated Mira's madness. I should have told everyone you were my woman, then no one would have dared to lay a finger on you!"

"And how could you do that, when I was never your woman?"

Alec grabbed her hand, pulling her towards him before she could react. "Don't say that. There isn't a moment that goes by that you aren't on my mind! Leyla, I will never love anyone else." His familiar heat enveloped her, his eyes begging her to give in. "Come back to the Warrior Kingdom with me."

Leyla blinked at the sudden intensity in his voice. What he was suggesting was impossible. "I can't. They won't just let me go." 

Staring at Raphael's back, Alec clenched his jaw. "I'll steal you away. Once you are within our gates, there will be nothing the Prorex can do."

Leyla struggled, the warmth she had felt a moment ago starting to lose its appeal, "Your Queen-"

"Is under strict guard," he reached for her arms, holding her steady. "She will never be able to trouble you again, I promise."

Leyla grimaced. Did he actually believe what he was saying? "This is all useless talk-"

"No." Alec cut her off. "It's not useless. I let the threat of war push me into marriage and ended up losing you. I'm not losing you again. If I have to go to war to be with you, then so be it."

Leyla started to protest again, but Alec held up his hand. "Please, Leyla, you know you don't belong here." He cast another look in Raphael's direction. "Sleep on it and give me your answer tomorrow."