Chapter 10

Leyla ran her fingers over the row of buttons that stretched from her right shoulder down to her waist. She felt far more comfortable now that she was in the dark green jacket and high waisted trousers of the Jade Palace guard; it was just a pity that she couldn't wear a sword.

The entrance hall was lit brightly to compensate for the fading light coming through the long windows over the main entrance.  Leyla scanned the crowded sitting areas quickly, looking for Raphael and finding him in the center of a gathering of women. Surprise, surprise. He was drinking something, his eyes moving from one woman to another as they talked. What could they be saying to him? And more importantly, how was she going to ask him about staying in Asch?

Noting the positions of the guards in the room, she moved closer to the gathering and listened.

"Do you think he is a doctor? His hands are so beautiful, if he's not a musician then he must be a healer, no?" A brunette asked, touching her stacked neck-rings to draw attention to her elongated neck.

"Who cares what he does?" The red haired female beside her laughed flipping her bone-braided floor length hair over her shoulders so she could lean over Raphael provocatively. "If he comes home with me, he can do nothing but stay in bed and I would be satisfied!"

In full agreement, the women from the Guadap and SoSo tribes continued to pose and beguile, trying to attract the Prorex's attention while he remained silent. Sure, he was smiling politely, but didn't they realise he didn't understand a word they were saying? And where in Asch was Asya?

Shaking her head in wonder, Leyla drew closer to make her presence known. Raphael caught her look of amusement and raised one regal brow. Then to her surprise he stood, addressing his flock in slightly accented Asch: "Excuse me, please."

Leyla waited as he moved through the group, ignoring the daggers the women were shooting in her direction.

"You've already picked up Aschian words," she said, impressed.

"Their incessant chatter was helpful. Although it sounds complicated at first, there only seem to be around 160 Aschian words that are relevant to everyday conversation," Raphael shrugged, as if it was natural for him to have picked up on the fact in such a short time.

"I'm glad you were not bothered by them and I'm sorry. I made a mistake in assuming Asya would not have left your side."

"There is nothing to be sorry for. From what I could make out, she said something about changing clothes..." Raphael's words trailed off as his eyes ran over Leyla's outfit. Then his keen golden gaze returned to hers: "Jara has asked you to stay."

It wasn't a question, but she felt like she needed to explain. "He didn't ask, it was my suggestion. Jara is in trouble and -"

"You feel you owe the Da Su's," He cut her off. "I understand, Lieutenant, I would not have expected anything less of you."

Leyla took in Raphael's calm expression and couldn't help feeling surprised. "I've already caused you so much trouble Prorex. Why are you being so kind?"

Raphael laughed at her disgruntled look, drawing yet more female attention his way. "Would you rather I be angry?"

"I would probably feel less guilty if you did," she admitted.

His eyes filled with humour, Raphael folded his arms across the deep v of his shirt. The move was followed by several giggles from across the hall, but he didn't seem to notice. "Lieutenant, don't mistake my actions for kindness, I'm just using logic. From what I know about you, you would not have agreed to staying if you didn't think you could solve Jara's problem quickly." He tipped his head to the side, his look calculating. "How long will it take to execute whatever plan it is you've come up with? Five, six days?"

"Five," Leyla mumbled, not sure how she felt about being so easy to read.

"Five days in Asch are mere moments in Gaia," Raphael said simply. "Why would I make a fuss about that when I can simply take the opportunity to gather knowledge?"

He was right, of course he was, but Leyla was still surprised by his reaction. Was it because most people of her acquaintance did not act using logic?

"Having said that," Raphael stopped, his eyes narrowing a fraction. "I trust you are not putting yourself in danger?"

"No," Leyla assured him. "It's a simple plan of action. Someone has killed two of Jara's fiancé's, so I will act as his third, draw out the perpetrator and catch him. I don't foresee any complications."

It was only after she finished speaking that Leyla noticed the cold expression on Raphael's face. He was looking at her blankly and the muscle in his jaw was clenched. He seemed angry, though it was impossible to say for sure. "Is there a problem?"

Raphael blinked, then looked out over the guests loitering around the room. When two women caught his eye with their lusty looks, his lips curled, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. "Is it naiveté or ignorance? And more importantly, why does it hurt my pride?"

Leyla didn't understand what he was referring to, but Raphael wasn't waiting for her to ask. "I am assuming you did not tell anyone about our engagement?" His golden gaze was on her once again.

"No," she admitted. "It seemed like it would cause needless complication." Was that what angered him? But, why would it, when their engagement was a farce that would be dissolved any day now.

"I see," he nodded, then his expression turned serious. "And what did you say I am to you?"

"My clansman," Leyla said, feeling as though she had made a mistake.

The muscle in Raphael's jaw clenched once, twice, then relaxed. "That won't do. Once it is announced that you are engaged to the Mahsap, the Ashians will not look kindly to our speaking in private. It will be better to let them think I am your brother."

She hadn't considered that. During her time in Asch everyone had excepted her behavior just the way she was. Of course, that might have been because she was Asya's bodyguard at first and the head of security later. Would the rules change once she was thought of as Jara's fiancé? The thought was not a pleasant one. "I will do as you suggest," she agreed.

Raphael nodded, then went on. "And tell Jara the truth."

"The truth?"

"Yes, the truth. That you are my fiancé." He started reaching for the chain around her neck, but stopped just short of touching her. Bringing his hand back down to his side, the Prorex looked away. "You might think it's unnecessary, but it will prevent the Mahsap from taking advantage of you during this little play."

"Jara wouldn't -" Leyla cut herself short when she saw him raise an arrogant brow.

"He would." Raphael smiled his infuriating smile, "You don't understand men, Lieutenant, so trust me on this."

Of all the highhanded, condescending...taking a step closer to her fake fiancé, she kept her expression pleasant as she lowered her voice, "I might not understand men, Prorex, but you can trust me on this: no man can take advantage of me unless I bloody well allow it."

Raphael blinked with surprise, and Leyla felt a moment of gratification at finally having silenced the all-knowing Prorex.

She watched as Raphael pulled his fingers through his dark hair, his eyes narrowing on a spot somewhere over her shoulder. Then he sighed and gave her a self-depreciating smile. "You are right. I was letting emotions guide my thinking. You are more than capable of taking care of yourself."

Feeling deflated, Leyla looked down at her hands. He was not the only one who reacting emotionally. Was it the lack of sleep that was catching up with her? "Prorex, I-"

"Ra-Fa-El!" Asya's excited voice reached them from where she was descending the staircase on the other end of the hall.

"You're guide has returned." Leyla took a step back, reminding herself that she had planning to do. "I will take my leave."

Raphael nodded, before turning towards the beautiful girl who was rushing his way.