Chapter 18

"Alright, I think that is probably enough for tonight," Jara massaged the back of his neck, glancing at the plans they had been pouring over for the last few hours. "I have to say, I'd forgotten how singleminded you are."

Leyla raised her brows, placing the outline of the events room on the top of the pile of papers. "Did I miss something, Mahsap?"

Jara rolled his shoulders as he approached her, "No, of course not. How could the invincible Utan La-La miss something?" He stopped a few steps away, his smile slipping when his eyes landed on something on her coat. Leyla looked down and saw that the necklace with Raphael's ring had come loose. Tucking it back into her shirt, she handed the papers to Jara.

"Look at them again if you like, but it would be best to burn them, Mahsap."

"You've memorised it, naturally," the lopsided grin that broke so many hearts was back in place. "Well, let's go, I'll walk you to your room. You barely slept last night and tomorrow will be a long day."

He was right, but there were things that still needed done. "You go ahead, Mahsap. I need to find Raphael. He needs to be told of the new protocols. Sleeping near me will be dangerous."

"Yeah it will," Jara mumbled.

"Sorry?" Leyla watched him place the papers in the top drawer of his desk, then direct an innocent smile her way.

"Nothing. Let's find that brother of yours shall we?"

They made their way down to the entrance hall where Jara asked after his sister's whereabouts. They were informed that Asya and her companion had disappeared into the gaming rooms after taking their meals. 

The gaming rooms. It had been a while since she set foot in them. Leyla watched their surroundings intently as they walked through the chambers full of tables, servers and gamblers. Together with the public bathes and entertainment floor, the vast web of interconnected gambling areas were the heart of the Jade Palace. 

While agreements were begun in the entrance hall and discussed in detail in the baths, they were cemented over good-natured gaming. Few played the tables with serious intent of winning grand treasures, but many intentionally lost small amounts to their new partners in trade or those whom they wished to court.

Of course the few that did try to win against the Jade Palace soon found that they were simply not good enough. The patterns of the games, the skills and the methodology were all created by Jara Da Su who was known as the Game Master of Asch.

"Mahsap!"

"Mahsapa!"

Leyla answered the greetings with an awkward smile, taking note of any displeased faces. Ani, the woman who had been crying at their arrival was nowhere to be seen.

"Bitch."

Leyla's sensitive hearing picked up on the whispered word, her eyes landing on a tall noblewoman at one of the more expensive gaming tables. She wore red fathers on top of her short cropped black hair, her white snail-shell embroidered dress shimmering down to her feet.

"Mahsap," Leyla said under her breath as she smiled at yet another well-wisher. "The Ketatu nobel at the table behind us..?"

Jara cast a quick glance around and groaned. "That's Keteri, the daughter of the richest man in the grasslands. After a single pleasurable encounter she asked for marriage..."

"But you declined," Leyla finished for him. If only the Mahsap had a bit more restraint, they wouldn't have so many possible murderer candidates now. "She looks angry and has influence. Please invite her to the bathing ritual tomorrow."

Jara nodded, as they walked through yet another set of doors. The atmosphere in this room was completely different to the previous three rooms. Gamblers and servers alike were gathered around a single table, speaking in low volume until a sudden outburst of cheers broke over the crowd.

"What in Asch?" Jara frowned, moving them forward.

Leyla had a feeling that Raphael probably had something to do with the commotion even before Asya's voice reached them: "Didn't I tell you not to play against my man?"

"And what revelry do we have here?" Jara asked, drawing everyone's eyes. People moved quickly to clear a path for him to approach, bringing their hands to their elbows in greeting.

"Brother, there you are!" Asya grinned at the sight of them. In a glittering gown of green, she stood with her hands on the back of the chair where Raphael was seated. He too had changed into new clothes and the buttons on his high-collared coat were the same shade of gold as his eyes. Noticing her lingering gaze, Raphael raised a brow and gave Leyla a smile that tugged at her stomach. Breaking eye contact, she frowned. What in Gaia?

"Look at how much Ra-Fa-El won!" Asya went on, pointing at the mound of gems on the table. "He beats the house every time!"

"Silly girl, are you forgetting we are the house?" Jara smiled, prompting laughter around the table, but Leyla could see the pleasure in his voice did not reach his eyes. It was only natural that he was surprised someone had found a way to beat his system; it probably left him flustered considering it had never happened before. She would have to tell him later not to worry, the chances of anyone else managing to best him were still close to zero. Raphael was just...an exception.

"Come on, brother. You are speaking of your Mahsapa's brother and my future husband; he is also the house, isn't he?" Asya grinned. The shouts of agreement around the table had Jara relaxing.

"You're right, sister." Then he suddenly wrapped his arm around Leyla' waist and she barely stopped herself from elbowing him to break free. "My Mahsapa's brother, is naturally a member of my house."

Narrowing her eyes on Jara's innocent face, Leyla swallowed some choice words then turned back to encounter Raphael's cold gaze. What in Four Kingdoms had gotten into these two?