Chapter 31

"Lieutenant!"

Spinning on her heels Leyla managed to catch a glimpse of tired golden eyes and black tousled hair before Raphael had wrapped his arms around her. "I made you worry," he whispered into her hair. "I'm sorry."

Leyla clung to him with desperate fingers; listening to his heart beat and breathing in his scent. He was alive. Raphael was alive and that was all that mattered. The burning grew worse until it felt as though her calves were on fire.

"The portal is closing. You won't make it if you don't leave now," the Ghost King spoke. "Move quickly. The bird knows where to go."

Looking up at Raphael's face, Leyla realised she was the only one who could hear the King's voice. "Let's go," she pushed out of Raphael's embrace, then grabbed his hand and pulled him to the edge of the sheer drop. Beneath them the wild Rezeg bird flapped its wings leisurely and hovered.

"Just let yourself drop onto its back."

Raphael glanced in the direction of the Ghost King who stood motionless, watching them without a sound. "Alright, I'll go first."

Leyla waited for him to gain his purchase before she let herself fall onto the bird in front of him. Her legs almost buckled beneath her, the burning sensation inside them having grown stronger, but she managed to settling in front of Raphael. The Rezeg bird dove away from the mountain without warning, its giant wings pushing at the air as it pointed its head towards the crags on the horizon.

"Is it taking us to the portal?" Raphael asked.

"Yes." Leyla tensed as a new wave of pain pierced her chest.

"Leyla, what is it?"

"Nothing," she tried to keep her voice light. "It will pass."

Raphael's arm came around her waist, pulling her against him to hold her steady. "Lean back, I've got you."

Leyla didn't resist his pull, grateful that she didn't have to try as hard to hold herself upright. Her entire body felt like it was on fire and her head was pounding in agony.

"What do you want from me once we are back home?" Raphael asked out of the blue.

"Want from you?"

"Yes, I will give you a gift for bringing me back from the verge of death - its the least I can do wouldn't you say?"

If it didn't hurt to do so, she would have smiled at his ridiculous reasoning. If he hadn't saved her life he would't have been in that situation to begin with. She should be repaying him, but she didn't know how. And she wouldn't argue. Not now.

"Is there nothing you want, Leyla?"

Want? She wanted this pain to end. She wanted him safe in his home. What other desires did she have? "Perhaps you can think of a way to find my father," she said before doubling over in agony. Her heart felt like it was being stabbed dozens of needles and it was all she could do not to scream.

Raphael held her up, his voice soft, "I can't bare seeing you like this."

She shook her head, unable to speak.

"Is there really nothing I can do?"

She heard the frustration in his voice. He must have so many questions, but being Raphael he didn't ask anything she wouldn't be willing to explain.

The stabbing sensation began to ease and she managed to take a deep breath.

"Then alright, I promise," Raphael said.

"Wha-what?" Black dots appeared in front of her eyes and her legs were now numb; she was losing control of her body.

"I'll come up with a way to find your father."

"Ahh!" Leyla shuddered as lightning bolts flashed inside her head. When the feeling subsided, she knew the respite would not last and spoke quickly: "Raphael, I might lose consciousness. Will you manage the Crossing? Ahh!" Her eyes pressed closed against the currents sizzling in her brain. She was panting, desperately trying to stay lucid.

"I will take are of everything," Raphael tightened his hold on her body. "You don't need to worry anymore. You can stop fighting. Just rest, Lieutenant. I'm right here."

Relief washed over her just before she lost consciousness.