Chapter 29

When Leyla woke for the second time the light in the cell was brighter. She had no idea how much time had passed. Had she slept an entire day? Did it even matter?

Her back was sore from lying on the uneven stone ground. She tried to sit up, but her muscles would not cooperate. Lying there, she blinked up at the ceiling. I regret nothing. Raphael's words came to her.

How? How could he regret nothing? Over and over, he had put himself in danger for her. He saved her from the Heka. Saved her from the Green King. Saved her from the Warrior Queen. Leyla had promised to take care of him. She promised to take him home. Leyla said she would protect him, but it was always Raphael who protected her. Raphael who jumped into a different world for her. Raphael who saved her from drowning. Raphael who stopped a knife meant for her with his bare hand. None of this is your fault. Even as they hung from the balcony and he knew his chances of surviving the fall were slim to none, he had tried to make an ungrateful person like her feel better.

A tear slipped from her corner of her eyes as regret clawed at her heart. Her chest felt heavy and her throat hurt as if something was squeezing without relent. Tears fell unbidden and for perhaps the second time in her life, she cried. Regret...hurt...longing...exhaustion...her thoughts and emotions collided until her eyes were swollen and her mind began to fog.

No! She couldn't lose focus, not now, not when there was a chance, a tiny chance that Raphael might still be alive.

She had to break through those bars.

She would break through those bars.

Swiping away the wetness on her face, Leyla forced herself into a sitting position, took a shaky breath and called the Heat.

The warmth came slowly, trickling into her fingers in little bursts. Was it the heavy stones around her or her weakness that made it difficult to pull the energy? Gathering her strength, she spread her hands wider and pulled harder. The power gathered into her palms and rushed up through her veins setting her arms of fire. It was flowing fast now, but it wasn't enough. She needed more to make it out of this place, much more.

Her legs shook as the Heat snaked in through her feet and filled her abdomen before rising even further. She had always been afraid to let it come this far and knew it was going to hurt. The pain when the energy left her body would be excruciating, but Leyla didn't care. She drew it even deeper into her center until it had filled her chest and wrapped itself around her heart.

Then, as the Heat seeped into the last untouched cells of her body, her heart stopped.

I failed.

A thousand thoughts rushed through her mind for one seemingly infinite moment, before her heart began beating once more. Suddenly the burning feeling disappeared and the Heat flowed through her like a rush of air.

Filled with unfamiliar strength, Leyla got to her feet and grasped the bars. When she pulled at the columns, the cold grey material crumbled in her grasp and left a gaping hole. She was free! Her hands still tingling with power, Leyla moved through the space and turned down the corridor towards the light.