Chapter 21

This was not how things were meant to go. 

Weddings were often held in the Jade Palace, so Leyla had heard about the ceremonial bathing many times, but no one had ever mentioned the details. By Tevvuk's Beard! She had no qualms about showing skin, after all she had grown up amongst Warriors, but who had designed such a ridiculous ritual garb?

She touched the light green fabric Asya's maids had wrapped around her waist and took a long, calming breath. Other than that piece of material, the only other covering she had been given was a garland of yellow flowers that hung down to her navel and matched the golden bangles that adorned her wrists. Thankfully, her hair was long enough to cover some of her chest, but being on display was only half the problem. Having her breasts unbound made her feel strangely vulnerable; a decidedly unpleasant feeling especially when she might well be attacked soon. How in Four Kingdoms was she meant to fight like this? 

Alright, she couldn't get distracted. She just had to ignore it. Just focus on the task at hand and move forward!

"La-La, it's time!" An excited Asya poked her head through the doorway of the white washed preparation room. Unlike Leyla, she was wearing a long green dress which looked far easier to fight in. 

Focus Leyla, you've got a killer to catch.

"Lead the way," she told the younger girl.

Asya's eyes sparkled with excitement as she walked Leyla down the candlelit hallway towards the bathing chamber. "Jara's going to be tongued at the sight of you," she grinned. "You look so regal, La-La. Delicate and beautiful but still so strong."

Leyla frowned as the girl gazed admiringly at the lines of her muscles. "Stop spewing nonsense!"

"Hah! Of course you wouldn't believe me," Asya laughed as they turned another corner.

Leyla had memorised  the layout of the bathing chambers and knew they were almost at their destination. Other than the ridiculous garb she was wearing, everything else was actually going to plan. Both Keteri and Ani were waiting to walk her into the immersion pool and if either of them was a would be assassin, Leyla would soon find out.

"Here we go!" Asya rushed forward to stand beside an arched doorway. "I would tell you not to be nervous, but you are La-La so I doubt you even know what that means."  Then the girl was pushing open the door and warm, flower scented air filled the corridor.

The interior of the room came into view beyond a sheen of incense and the four noblewomen who had been invited to participate in the ceremony moved towards her. Leyla recognized Ani instantly and noted that the girl was once again on the verge of tears. Ketari on the other hand looked unfazed as she moved gracefully with her back straight.

The women bowed to her and silently gestured with both hands towards the long plunge pool at the center of the room.  Leyla moved forward and from behind a screen covered corner, two drums picked up the beat of her steps. Then a flute joined in, filling the room with an eerily beautiful sound.

Leyla kept her steps measured while watching the women around her. From what she could see, their dresses which were identical to Asya's, did not allow for hidden weapons.  Assured that there was no immediate danger, Leyla's gaze then moved on to take in the rest of the room.

Beyond the pool that had been strewn with golden petals stood three figures. Asya and Raphael were on either side of the water, while Jara watched her from the end of the pool. Dressed in green trousers and a flower garland identical to hers, his steel grey eyes followed her with an expression she couldn't place.

Almost at the edge of the water now, Leyla was suddenly reminded of the Aqua pond. Her stomach clenched, her step faltering as the memory of water closing over her head flashed across her vision. What? She took a shaky breath, remembering the pull of the deep waters, the burn of suffocation...Her fingers curling against rising panic, her eyes looked for the man whose gaze she had been avoiding.

Raphael's brows drew together when their eyes locked, and for a single moment something that might have been concern flickered across his face. Then the look disappeared and he was glancing at the pool and back at her, raising that arrogant brow as if to say it was absurd to be afraid of such shallow water. 

The jerk. Her annoyance helping her overcome the moment of panic, she straightened her shoulders. Then taking one last slow breath she followed the potential murderers into the pool.