Chapter 43

Once outside the keep, they followed a curved stone path through trimmed grass and shrubs until they reached a forest. The trees were all neatly kept, their branches full of leaves of varying sizes and shapes.

"This is rainbow forest," Michael explained, seeing the surprised look on Leyla's face. "It used to be grassland, but the scientists have been planting one of each type of tree that exists within the Four Kingdoms."

Leyla looked in wonder at a strange specimen whose roots had grown out of the ground and around the trunks of the neighbouring trees. "I don't recognise half of them."

"That's probably because many grow around the Three Sisters and parts of No Lander territories where no one goes." Michael's eyes wondered to where Delphine was walking several strides ahead of them, then he frowned. "She'll definitely go the wrong way." He picked up his pace and joined the younger girl.

Left to her own devices, Leyla took in the scenery. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and bird calls filled the warm air. She kept her thoughts firmly on her surroundings, not wanting to think about yesterday or the future for at least a little while longer. Soon the sound of rushing water could be heard and after they cleared a small hill, she saw why.

Spreading out in front of her was one of the most breathtaking views she had ever seen. They had come to the edge of a rapid river that bordered two vastly different landscapes. While the side they were standing on was all grass and trees, on the other side of the bank was a sea of purple flowers that seemed to reach as far as the snow capped mountains beyond. Leyla took in a slow breath and let her eyes drift up the river where she could spot several small waterfalls and an arched bridge that connected the two sides.

Her mind was suddenly feeling calmer. She had never realised that watching water flow would make her feel so peaceful.

"Didn't I tell you, you would love it?" Michael chimed in, beside her.

"Go away," she complained. "I'm trying to enjoy the peace."

He shrugged obligingly. "I wanted to bring you some of the bell flowers anyway." Then he was turning towards Delphine, "Come on, didn't you say you wanted to pick some flowers for your mother?"

The two of them walked further up the river towards the arched bridge, leaving Leyla to enjoy the quiet. She did not know how long she stood there, taking it all in, before a grating voice destroyed her serenity.

"Look, there's Lady Delphine, on the other side of the bank."

Leyla turned to see Annabelle arriving at the edge of the river with a posse of ladies including the two Delphine had been walking with earlier. It seemed the ministers daughters tea club had come in search of their missing member.

"Oh, and if it isn't the Consort," Annabelle continued, as if she had just noticed her presence. The other ladies bowed respectfully, and Raphael's mistress followed suit her face full of mock concern. "You must have a dreadful headache after last night. Is the fresh air helping?"

Several of the ladies looked away with embarrassment, showing Leyla that Annabelle had already spread the rumour of her drunken episode.

"Thank you for your concern, Lady Annabelle, but I feel fine," Leyla said with a forced smile. In truth, while her head did feel a little better, her mouth was still
dry and having to deal with Raphael's mistress and her thinly veiled barbs was bringing back the nausea.

"Oh, I see. It seems like I've asked a useless question. I apologies, it's just that we Light people don't know much about this kind of thing since getting drunk is for..." Annabelle let her words trail off, pretending to be embarrassed by what she was about to say. Several of the other ladies covered their mouths and turned their faces away to hide their laughs. Only one round-faced brunette with big doe eyes rushed to console her.