20

We had started going to classes and lectures had sort of started fully. It had been around a week since Fareedah and I had last seen. We did text each other every now and then, but never really had time to see each other. It was only the start of classes, no one was trying to miss class. University of Lagos lecturers moved different. One second, you're in class having a lecture, the next second everyone is tearing a sheet of paper to write about something they didn't even fully understand. Due to that, people tried to be there during really classes. Classes were usually still scanty, and that was one of the reasons the lecturers did stuff like that at times.

"It is the weekend, are you going to see Fareedah?" Inoma asked as we both laid down on her bed.

I shrugged, "I don't really know."

Inoma chuckled. "What is wrong?" she asked me as she turned to look at me. "You are usually so excited to see her, so what is wrong?"

I shook my head again.

"Then..."

I didn't let her finish talking before I asked her, "What's up with you and Topher? You have been avoiding talking about him and have not gone out with me on two occasions that he came to greet us. What's wrong? Did he do something wrong?"

Inoma didn't answer me, but instead looked at her fingers, as she began to play with them.

I sighed. "Can you please talk to me?" I asked her, "I don't want my friends to not be talking. Did he reject you?"

She chuckled, before turning to look at me, sitting up so she was looking down at me. "I feel like that would have been better, at least I would know where I stand with him if he had rejected me."

I frowned. "Why? What could he have done that is worse than a rejection?"

"I feel a bit petty, so I find it difficult to talk about it."

"Aren't we all petty one way or another?"

Inoma shook her head. "No, you handle things well and are hardly petty."

I chuckled as I shook my head, saying, "I doubt dear. I do petty things too."

Inoma sighed as she let her shoulders fall. "Please."

"Oya talk, I won't say anything till you're done."

Inima nodded before she began. "You know last time that you went to see Fareedah and I went to hangout with Chris?"

I nodded.

"Well," she said with a sigh, pausing a bit before she continued, "Well, he kept on talking about this his female class male. He talked about her so much it was giving the vibe that he liked her." She looked down at me, looking me in my eyes. "I don't want to be around him so that I can deal with my own feelings, and I don't think he owes me anything. I think I should let him be so he finds happiness with the girl if she is the one he likes."

I frowned a bit.

"The petty part you see," Inoma soon quickly said, before I could open my mouth to say anything. "Is that I am actually very angry. I'm angry that he just doesn't know I like him and then likes me back. I'm angry he was talking about another girl. I don't want to see him, because it makes me so pained that he just doesn't know I like him and says he likes me back. I don't want to tell him how I feel, I expect him to just get it and fell the same way." She sighed as looked at her fingers, her eyes watering.

I could feel my heart sink. "Don't you think it is better to tell him?" I asked, not really waiting for her to reply before I said, "I know it might seem so hard, but I think that would clear up the air and make things better for you both."