14

It had been days since I last spoke to Fareedah. She had neither called nor texted. I had made several excuses for her, knowing she could be busy. Test session was coming to an end, so she was probably busy with one test or the other, and I was obviously not important than her academics. But I couldn't help the worry I felt, while also not being able to call her. It was like I feared scaring her off, before I could even fully hold her in my grasp.

My mind had drifted far, while my hands were deep inside my hoody pouch as I found myself walking to FSS (Faculty of Social Science). I had told myself I wasn't going to go there, so I don't put some sort of pressure on her, but somehow I had found myself on my way to the same place I said I wasn't going to go to. I had worn all black, hoping I could hide in plain sight. But it didn't work out as Jason approached me with a wide smile, leaving his 'guys' behind. I feigned a smile as I watched him approach, slowing down a bit so we could meet in the middle, sort of. "How far?" he had said the moment he got to me.

I nodded with a smile as I replied, "I am cool oh, You?"

He nodded too. "Surviving," he said. "Looking for Fareedah?"

I smiled a bit, then nodded. "Yes."

He nodded, then pointed in the direction Fareedah's usual spot as he said, "She is at her spot."

I nodded, but didn't bother looking as I knew I wasn't going to be able to see her from where I was. I was closer to the Social Science building, which was a tad far from the creative art building.

"Can I walk you?" Jason had asked, stretching his hands toward the direction of the creative arts arena, as a black SUV passed up and causing me to stare at it at the speed it drove off.

I nodded as I began to walk, staring ahead at the interlocked floor. I honestly wasn't really down for his talk, but still didn't want to be rude. I didn't have the strength to verbally put anyone in their place on that day. I had spent all day in the hostel, because the class I had for that day had been cancelled. Even though I had an entirely free day, I still felt somewhat tired.

I tried not to physically sigh as Jason began to talk as we calmly walked towards the creative arts arena. "So, the guy I had seen you with that night, is the person, right?" he had said, a smile evident in his voice.

I was so close to ask him, 'Huh?'. But then quickly remembered the night he was speaking of, luckily for me. I nodded gently as I replied, "Yes, that is the guy."

"Wow, you guys are in the same school," he commented, adding, "That must be nice."

I nodded, not answering and hoping silence would reign. Luckily for me, we had gotten to our destination and like he had said, Fareedah was her usual spot, painting. I smiled gently when I saw her, watching her as she crotched. She had a free sage high waisted cotton trousers, which was firmly held by a belt around her waist; it was topped with a sleeveless black turtle neck bodycon top, while her heels held high in the heels she was wearing. She looked really focused as she was doing some detailing with the tip of the smallest of her round painting brush. She rinsed it in the water that was placed close to her canvas, as she touched another colour and touched something again.

"You must really like this Fareedah girl," Jason had suddenly said, shivers to run down my spine, it was like I had been caught doing something wrong, but I kept my composure as I frowned a bit. He nodded in response to a question I never asked. "You have a different smile, whenever it comes to her. It is cool though. She doesn't have friends, and always stay by herself. She talks to no one, and if you talk to her she often keeps it to one-word replies. So, people simply avoided her and left her alone, rumors spreading of how she is proud because her dad is possibly Pakka – the popular Pakka you know." He nodded again, before continuing. "So, people simply left her alone. And the way she dresses and drives that expensive Benz, it makes it so believable. But then, I think she likes you too. Because I think I've seen her talk to you, and it didn't look like a one-word replied conversations." He placed his right hand on my right shoulder, patting it a bit as he said, "I wish you people luck. See you around."